New York Power Authority Supplier Diversity Specialist in White Plains, New York
The Supplier Diversity Specialist is a vital role executing communication and business relationships with external suppliers. Reporting to the Manager of Supplier Diversity, this position will execute strategies for the Supplier Management function regarding the usage and performance of diverse suppliers. This position will be responsible to ensure NYPA operates in a strategic and goal oriented manner by enabling the diversity goals of the Supplier Relationship Management function.
• Work collaboratively with others to ensure staff and vendors are in compliance with NYS MWBE & SDVOB laws and regulations, as well as NYPA/Canal procurement policies, procedures.
• Develop, implement and provide the administration of supplier diversity programs, including NYPA/Canal ’s Mentor Protégé Program.
• Work collaboratively with the Manager, Supplier Diversity to define and implement programs and processes to execute the supplier diversity strategy by compiling statistical data and preparing annual and quarterly M/WBE & SDVOB utilization related reports in compliance with requirements of NYS Department of Economic Development, the Governor’s Office, and NYPA/Canal .
• Support in the reviews and investigations of NYPA/Canal contracts subject to Appendix C & Appendix G & Appendix G (NYPA/Canal Diversity goals contract requirement) to ensure that all Supplier Diversity activities are in compliance with NYS and NYPA/Canal /Canal Corporationrequirements.
• Keep abreast of new legislative requirements in procurement and provide direction to contractors, vendors, and consultants regarding their SDP contract compliance and goals. Recommend special contract terms and conditions dispensation where necessary, to support SDP objectives.
• Work in conjunction with senior leadership in the research, identification and implementation of KPIs for process improvement within the Procurement group or any other special projects or initiatives so identified.
• Plan and organize NYPA/Canal Supplier Diversity outreach events. Participate in various SDP activities with diverse suppliers, chambers, associations, advocacy groups and councils in support of SDP outreach efforts.
• Identify, compile, analyze, track, manage and report Prime and second tier spend results to include gathering data from relevant internal and external resources. i.e. Second Tier vendor performance for input data into NYS Department of Economic Development On-Line utilization system for quarterly report submissions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of the NYPA/Canal ’s Procurement Procedures and Guidelines (i.e., Expenditure Authorization Procedure, Supplier Diversity Program requirements, etc.). and procurement principles.
• Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing.
• Strong knowledge of techniques utilized by private & public organizations to maximize opportunities for diverse suppliers. Ability to influence internal and external clients towards diverse supplier usage
• Strong knowledge of energy related purchasing, service contracts, implementation contracts, equipment and construction agreements and terms and conditions.
• Ability to keep abreast of legislative and statutory requirements promulgated by the Governor’s office and assesses impact on the Authority’s program and current developments in supplier diversity.
• Strong written and verbal skills in a multidisciplinary environment with the ability to write concise, logical, grammatically correct memos, reports and letters.
• Demonstrated competency to be an effective presenter and public speaker to both internal and external constituencies and able to communicate effectively with diverse individuals, groups, and all levels internal and external to the organization including the Law Department regarding contractual obligations.
• Ability to be creative: i.e., skill in taking ideas, concepts, solutions, etc. normally not directly associated with the problems at hand, and changing and adapting them to provide usable innovative solutions to SDP problems. Ability to assist Procurement personnel and vendors in resolving all SDP disputes and or concerns
• Ability to multi-task and meet numerous deadlines, as well as other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Certifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Communications, or other business relavant field.
• Minimum of 7 years of relative business experience.
• In-depth experience working within the parameters of the New York State Executive Law Article 15-A, 17-B and any other laws affecting NYS diverse businesses.
• Minimum of 7 years of interfacing with or experience contributing to supplier diversity programs is preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in purchasing, contract negotiation and administration is preferred
• Experience with contract management systems or B2Gnow is preferred
Office location: White Plains, NY.
Travel requirements: <5%, may travel among sites from time to time, and potentially attend the more critical meetings that may take place at supplier locations.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer