New York Power Authority Electrical Design Supervisor in White Plains, New York
The Design Supervisor coordinates and oversees design and drafting activities related to his/her technical discipline. The Supervisor provides technical guidance to Designers and CAD Operators and collaborates with other disciplines and site personnel, in the development of design drawing packages as required for successful implementation of Engineering projects ranging from minor O&M modifications to multimillion dollar capital projects. The Supervisor ensures design documents meet NYPA quality, regulatory compliance and technical standards. The Supervisor is a key contributor in the complex technical environment of multidiscipline design development and supervises both NYPA staff and contractor resources required to support the organization’s deliverables.
• Coordinate and supervise the daily activities of team members assigned to design projects.
• Review work for technical accuracy and completeness.
• Ensure compliance with NYPA’s configuration management policies and procedures.
• Monitor progress from project initiation to task closure and generates status reports.
• Provide technical guidance to team members in the development of design packages.
• Set priorities for team members and make necessary resource adjustments to successfully accomplish deliverables on time and within budgetary constraints.
• Provide man-hour estimates for proposed projects.
• Collaborate with supervisors, other Engineering disciplines and site personnel.
• Accountable for the project team’s performance in achieving goals, schedule compliance milestones and other objectives.
• Prepare performance reviews for team members.
• Review and approve staff timesheets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated experience in a leadership/supervisory role and/or as a key contributor to the successful completion of major technical projects. Proven ability to adjust to changing priorities both independently and collaboratively.
• Knowledge of fundamental engineering principles, construction techniques, design standards, technical and regulatory requirements and generally accepted drafting practices.
• Specific technical expertise in one or more design engineering disciplines.
• Ability to logically develop plans and schedule work to address business and operational needs.
• Ability to coordinate inter-discipline technical interfaces to successfully achieve project goals and deliverables.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills are necessary to interact with others within the organization. Verbal/written communication skills must be at a level where the incumbent can request data, organize technical information and alert others of potential technical design conflicts.
• Multi-tasking and flexibility are required to accommodate changing priorities to meet the needs of the organization.
• Ability to resolve personnel problems, schedule conflicts, mobilize contractor and NYPA resources and make necessary adjustments to complete assigned projects on schedule and within budgetary constraints.
• Working knowledge and experience with AutoCAD applications, engineering document management systems and plotting equipment.
• Proficient in interviewing techniques and managing contractor resources.
Education, Experience and Certifications
• Associate Technical Degree in a related discipline (or equivalent work experience).
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in design and drafting with a minimum of 2 years of experience directing the design work of others, preferably in a utility company or an AE firm.
• Four years of related experience as a designer or senior designer may be substituted for an Associate Degree, at the discretion of the Authority.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Applied Technology is preferred.
• Approximately 15% travel throughout New York State to NYPA’s operating facilities.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer