New York Power Authority Developmental Intern - Finance in White Plains, New York
This select 12-week paid internship program begins June 2019 and ends August 2019.
This is an exciting developmental opportunity for an internship within the Revenue & Pricing Analysis team in the Finance department at NYPA. The selected individual will have the opportunity to directly support the implementation of such current NYPA strategic initiatives as Digitization and Customer Care. Further, the intern will have the opportunity to:
• Gain an insight to NYPA’s financial wealth and the various jobs/functions performed within Finance
• Understand the mechanics of the electric Cost of Service (“COS”) and revenue requirement principals, cost recovery mechanism, including rate making
• Learn to conduct customer savings analyses
• Learn to assess how market changes impact our customer economics
• Develop strong data mining and analytical skills
• Set a foundation for a professional conduct in an office environment.
In this position, the intern will participate in a range of strategic projects such as:
• Automation of various internal and external customer reporting, including COS models, Profit & Loss statements, and rates
• Supporting monthly rate maintenance of our current customer savings models by researching and gathering data and analyzing cost comparison results
• Support customer rate setting and asses the resulting customer revenue impact
• Develop management friendly interactive rate reporting database models.
The Intern will also support the Financial Planning team through Data visualization and automation.
This is important to Financial Planning in alignment with NYPA's digitization initiative, and in order to save working time and reduce errors. Data visualization projects support enhanced information sharing, faster response times, and transparency leading to more robust decision making.
The intern will participate in creation of financial data visualization reports through Tableau software, as well as assisting with automation of financial forecasting processes that are currently completed manually. The intern will take part in these efforts through documentation of current and to-be processes, participation in identification of specific automation and data visualization needs, design meetings and creation of solutions, and user testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities the intern will walk away with after this internship
Interpretation of certain financial models
Cost of Service and recovery methods
Various ways of presenting data and analysis
NYPO, Utility, and financial knowledge gained through first-hand experience with financial reporting.
Hands on experience creating Excel models
Reporting and graph creation
Hands-on data visualization experience, particularly using Tableau software.
Administrative support - composing emails, reviewing legal documents, responding to customer requests, building presentations
Ability to bring a concept into a fully implemented project.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office, with strong Excel capabilities
Written/verbal communication skills
Attention to detail
Strong interpersonal skills
Ability to work in a team environment
Eagerness and ability to grow and learn
Ability to multi-task
- Completed 2 or more years of study in a BA, BS or equivalent degree in Finance, Accounting, Management, Math, Engineering, Utility Business, Data Processing, etc
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer