Eversource Energy Senior Safety Advisor, Process Safety in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Under the general direction of the Manager, Safety (Gas Engineering, System Ops & Process Safety), this position is responsible for supporting process safety integration and improvement for the Gas business and all of Eversource (including Electric and Water). Serves as a business specific and corporate role. Primary areas of support within the Gas business are Gas Engineering and LNG/LPG facilities, as well as works as a partner to the Pipeline Safety (PSMS) team. This incumbent will serve as a technical and proficient subject matter expert to help identify process safety gaps, strengthen controls and reduce risk. Major responsibilities include the ongoing identification, development and implementation of systems and processes to reduce risk and drive continuous improvement to strengthen process safety. Maintaining a close relationship with engineering and operating managers and supervisors is expected.
- Maintains a close working relationship with engineering and operating personnel and advises managers and supervisors in all aspects of process safety, which includes hazard identification, risk evaluation and application of process safety concepts and tools for all areas of the gas business.
- Provide guidance to facilities as a subject matter expert including, but not limited to hazard identification, risk assessment and risk management practices, such as Process Hazard Analysis (PHA - including LOPA), Management of Change (MOC), and Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSR).
- Ensure programs and practices are established, maintained and improved to minimize risk and ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local regulations as well as company standards and RAGAGEP.
- Manage/conduct risk assessments and provide direction on how to address risk, as well as assist in defining the scope of the risk assessments and determine appropriate risk assessment methodologies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to help execute the management of change (MOC) programs and serve as a champion for program implementation.
- Evaluate gaps in process safety/risk training and provide technical expertise in the development of content.
- Develops company process safety policies and assists in the integration of process safety within gas-specific procedures and practices.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments and management to ensure process safety fundamentals and best practices are integrated, understood and implemented in appropriate areas such as operating procedures, engineering practices, and asset integrity.
- Participates in and incorporates industry and process safety best practices via organizations such as the American Gas Association (AGA), Northeast Gas Association (NGA) and the Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS).
- Provides expertise during incident analyses and aids in determining appropriate action items to address root causes (corrective and preventive) and systematic improvements.
- Develops internal audit protocols against company policies and conduct periodic audits as part of the plan, do check, act cycle.
- Provides support for facilities during compliance audits and works with management to address action plans in a focused manner, prioritizing risk.
- Develops relationships with customers from every level within the organization.
- Develops, revises and implements work practices and programs that enhance human and organizational performance.
- Provides input and completes projects to develop and update procedures and safety rules as required.
- Provides support during emergencies, such as mutual aid contractor on-boarding and field safety support.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires a thorough understanding of the Company’s safety rules, knowledge of Gas Utilities (including LNG/LPG) practices and procedures. Requires specific knowledge of MA/CT and federal regulations (OSHA and PHMSA) safety laws, and other local safety requirements as they pertain to gas utility industries.
Education: Requiresa Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Safety or related discipline or equivalentexperience.
Experience :Minimum of five (5) years experience in operational or process safety activities.
Licenses & Certification: Additionalsafety related training programs and certifications such as the CCPSC: CCPS Process Safety Professional Certification, Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel primarily within assigned region and company-wide between MA/CT/NH; occasionally beyond the assigned region to attend specialmeetings/training/conferencesor during storm conditions.
- Must be available to work on-call on a rotating basis.
- This position is categorized as safety-sensitive for the purpose of drug testing. Successful applicants shall be subject to a pre-assignment drug test if the individual is currently in a non-safety sensitive position. As an employee in this position the individual shall be subject to random drug testing. A positive drug test will result in disciplinary action.
Mental Aspects :
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Communicate priorities and goals (company, department, team)
- Show how employee’s work fits in with the Eversource Safety culture
- Provide business updates, news and safety communications
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty/integrity in communication and action
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
Manage and Develop People
- Set realistic performance objectives and expectations
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Recognize good performance
- Visit crews in the field
- Remove obstacles to day-to-day performance
- Provide tools, information, training
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between work groups/departments
- Encourage collaboration/peers helping peers
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Ask for employee input on work process/practice improvements and before implementing change that will affect them
- Encourage ideas
- Deliver effective, positive communications about change to your team
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully implement changes in priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that everyone on the team understands our customer promise and provides superior customer service
- Be a role model for the team on delivering superior customer service
Please submit a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs