Eversource Energy Senior Engineer Transmission System Planning in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! The Senior Engineer in System Planning provides transmission focused subject matter expertise in power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the modeling and development of the transmission system. The role requires extensive experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of transmission lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical reliability studies include analyses of power flow, transient stability, short circuit, and electromagnetic transients. This position also represents the company on regional and national transmission committees regarding transmission planning matters for New England Power Pool (NEPOOL), North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), New England Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and Independent System Operators of New England (ISO-NE).
Eversource Energy Transmission System Planning group consists of dynamic and highly motivated, collaborative, technical team of engineers responsible for planning an efficient and reliable electrical transmission grid across a wide geographic area, spanning the New England states of Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The Eversource System Planning team uses the latest industry software and methods to analyze and assess complex transmission systems across Eversource Energy’s transmission and sub-transmission networks. Eversource consistently encourage our team to seek out and develop creative technological and process improvements, continually striving to increase the precision and efficiency of our studies.
Your role in the Transmission System Planning team would include collaborating, performing, and leading regional and local reliability and/or market driven studies across our operating companies and beyond including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments. In addition, you will also participate, perform and lead compliance studies for Eversource Energy service companies. Eversource provides platforms for our planners to interact with internal teams and encourages them to become active with their industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NERC, NPCC, ISO’s, etc.). Each planner has the freedom to work independently while being given opportunities to lead, all while receiving constant support from and collaborating with other team members across Eversource Energy.
A familiarity with various planning standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, ISO-NE etc.) and planning software packages such as PSS/E and TARA is certainly a plus; however, Eversource is looking for a collaborative, technical and innovative power systems engineers with good communications skills, that are capable to be part of a highly effective team to transform the Transmission System Planning organization. Our planning team also work collaboratively with other related technical disciplines in the electrical power industry such as substation design, construction and protection and control systems.
- Collaborate, perform, and lead reliability and/or economic driven studies including voltage, thermal, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments.
- Analyze and assess complex transmission systems at numerous voltage levels. Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
- Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of transmission planning. Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
- Represent Eversource, collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NERC, NPCC, ISO-NE’s, etc.).
- Develop and apply a thorough understanding of various planning criteria, guidelines, standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and analysis software packages such as PSS/E, TARA, and ASPEN.
- Employs teamwork with engineers in System Planning, Transmission Asset Strategy, and engineers and operating personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations in performing analyses and providing technical support in planning and operational environments
- Train junior staff in technical analyses and procedures.
Required Education & Experience:
- BSEE required with additional consideration given to applicants with Advanced Degrees or Certifications (e.g. MSEE, PE, etc.).
- At least 5 years of related experience is required, power industry experience strongly preferred
The following technical skills are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Transmission Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in Transmission Planning activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, etc.):
- T&D Power Systems Engineering: Practical & Theoretical knowledge of Planning, Operations, and Engineering Design (e.g. symmetrical components, per unit, etc.).
- Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Power Flow, Stability, Short Circuit, etc.)
- Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. PSSE, TARA, ASPEN)
- Knowledge of Regional/Local Criteria & Compliance: (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)
Licenses & Certifications
Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs