Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, System Planning Transmission (Hartford, CT or Westwood, MA) in Westwood, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
Role and Scope of Position:
The Senior Engineer in System Planning provides transmission focused subject matter expertise in power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the modeling and development of the transmission system. The role requires extensive experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of transmission lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical reliability studies include analyses of power flow, transient stability, short circuit, and electromagnetic transients. This position also represents the company on regional and national transmission committees regarding transmission planning matters for New England Power Pool (NEPOOL), North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), New England Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and Independent System Operators of New England (ISO-NE).
2. Essential Functions:
Assists in development of the transmission system power flow model. This task includes:
Collection and review of all bulk substation peak load demands
Collection, modification, and review of a variety of electric system parameters including: equipment ratings, impedances, contingency sets, protection and control parameters, as well as system topology
Assists in the Regional needs assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with key study areas of the ISO-NE regional system plan. This task includes:
Determining transmission system area needs through performing transmission system studies
Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
Interfacing with various ISO-NE staff, line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
Conducts local adequacy assessments and develops options to meet power delivery objectives by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions. This task includes:
Application of industry and corporate transmission planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
- Plans, develops and collaborates in the implementation and management of the life cycle planning for transmission assets
Contributes to the development of the Transmission budget through development of cost effective programs and projects to meet customer and system needs
Assists in analysis of the transmission interconnections. This task includes:
Review and feasibility assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
Managing the local impact analysis of transmission interconnections on the Eversource transmission system
Other supporting tasks include:
Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
- Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional transmission expansion studies.
- Employs teamwork with engineers in System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing
- Trains junior staff in technical analyses and procedures
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
Strong understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as reliability, load flow, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
Strong technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
- Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
- Thorough understanding of engineering economics
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related.
Advanced Degree is preferred
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications: Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires sitting, standing and general movement throughout the office area.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
Work includes analyzing, consulting, designing, implementing, presenting, leading and coordinating. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
· The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
· Position requires occasional travel by car.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs