Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, System Planning (Hybrid) in Westwood, Massachusetts
The DER Planning Senior Engineer in System Planning provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical DER studies include analyses of distribution connected generation and storage and their impact on the distribution system using Synergi Electric and PSCAD Softwares. The primary location for the job is based in Westwood MA; however, the candidate can be based out of NH and/or CT offices as well.
This is a hybrid role. The first three months are fulltime in the office.
-Assists in development of the distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of generation and storage.
-Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the ISO-NE regional system. This task includes:
-Working with distribution system planning and transmission interconnection engineers
-Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
-Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
-Interfacing with DER, various line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
Conducts assessments and develops options to meet DER interconnections by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions.
Apply industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
Assists in analysis of the distributioninterconnections
Review and preparation of Pre-Application Report requests
Review and feasibility assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
Managing the local impact analysis of distribution interconnections on the Eversource distribution system
Take ownership on the models on the interconnecting studies in Synergi and PSCAD
Perform peer study reviews and be a mentor to other Staff Engineers
Be an SME on representing Eversource on the State level committee(s)
Other supporting tasks include:
Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional distribution and substation expansion studies.
Employs teamwork with engineers in Distribution Engineering, System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
Manages the delivery of Eversource products and services to increase interconnection of generation and meet customer needs.
Assist with preparing PAF’s & other internal authorization forms and present at monthly meeting
Serves on specialized internal and external cross-functional teams, as necessary, to develop engineering solutions and customer satisfaction.
Manage approved inverter list - Reviewing UL certifications to add inverters to our list of approved models for reference
Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing to internal and external stakeholders
Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
Understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as DG, storage, reliability, load flow, flicker, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
Technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills both verbal and written.
Follow Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
Education: Requires a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related. Masters degree preferred
Experience: 5 years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications: PE ispreferred.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position is $117,400.00 to $130,440.00, plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of our benefits.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs