Eversource Energy Principal Engineer - Protection & Controls in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)As a Principal P&C Engineer you will be responsible for providing the highest level of professional engineering work for accomplishing major, complex engineering projects. At this level, individuals will have demonstrated creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving engineering problems. Principal engineers ensure the completion of activities and assignments associated with the design and operation of protection and control systems necessary for the safe and reliable operation of the transmission and distribution system to meet the mission and objectives of the organization whether independently or in a team environment. In addition, this position analyzes complex protection system operations and the appropriate resolutions, as necessary, in order to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance. Principal P&C engineers also apply specialized knowledge to provide innovative solutions to emerging industry issues. This position shares accountability with peers in the planning, project management, substation engineering, operations, and maintenance organizations to carry out the efficient and timely completion of system reliability projects, generation interconnection projects, and system restoration and troubleshooting efforts.
- Serve as technical specialist to P&C Engineering. Recognized as the technical expert both internally and externally
- Solves complex technical problems requiring recognized expertise; e.g. System Coordination studies, Post Event Analysis, etc.
- Analyze protection system operations during transmission and distribution system disturbances in support of event analysis
- Integrates cross functional groups or teams to initiate and implement more sensitive, highly complex engineering projects, multi-discipline in nature
- Works with senior management on sensitive, confidential projects
- Formulates Eversource technical positions and recommends company policies and standards on various issues within expertise
- Presents, directs and / or prepares corporate testimony and written responses for regulatory compliance local, state or federal.
- Serves on various Eversource internal committees and task forces to provide information and recommendations to Eversource senior management
- Develop, calculate, and document settings and logic for protective relays, logic processors, feeder reclosers, and switches necessary to support Eversource system reliability projects and initiatives.
- Interface with Eversource Planning, Operations and Field personnel to support their efforts to plan, operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system.
- Perform peer checks of other group member designs and relay settings.
- Provides both technical guidance and training for less experienced personnel
- Represents Eversource on various industry and professional society committees and working groups.
- Prepares for senior Eversource leadership such written material as letters and reports on various technical aspects
- Acts on behalf of Lead Engineer in their absence as assigned
- Actively support storm and/or emergency restoration assignments.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical & Computer Engineering
Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
Experience : Minimum of Ten (10) years of Protection and Controls experience is required, including:
- Significant experience performing overcurrent and distance coordination studies with ASPEN Oneliner modeling software or equivalent.
- Experience performing post event analysis using relay and digital fault recorder event records
- Thorough knowledge of transmission and distribution protective relaying principles and methodologies
- Ability to succeed independently or in a team environment and to provide work direction for others, assume authority and be assertive.
- Possess highly developed communications skills, i.e., ability to write clearly and concisely, make presentations before senior management, ability to discuss ideas and be persuasive, and be able to work effectively with all levels within Eversource, governmental agencies and other outside organizations.
- Experience with the design and installation of protection and control schemes utilizing IEC61850 protocol preferred
- Initiative and aggressiveness to search out problem areas, creativity to devise technically sound solutions and confidence to make technical decisions in solving complex problems based largely on own effort with little or no supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory criteria, industry codes, and standards applicable to the specific area of expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret information in order to propose decisions with respect to the specific area of the position in solving highly complex problems.
- Ability to grasp concepts, analyze technical information, determine facts and make well thought out recommendations/decisions.
Licenses & Certifications: PE License is strongly preferred
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs