Eversource Energy Manager, Grid Modernization in Westwood, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
The Manager, Grid Modernization is responsible for leading design and execution of the Company’s strategic implementation plans related to modernization of the Company’s electric distribution system across the three-state service territory. The Manager, Grid Modernization will lead multi-disciplinary teams responsible for design and execution of projects that support the Company’s vision for a modern grid with a focus on technologies and solutions that enable integration of distributed energy resources and improve reliability and efficiency of the distribution system. The Manager, Grid Modernization will be a thought leader in guiding development and prioritization of projects, coordinating with internal and external stakeholders. Individual will also have responsibility for project execution, including technology review and selection; defining project budget, scope and timeline; project management; internal and external reporting and tracking; and stakeholder engagement. The Manager will also lead efforts to research and develop plans for additional modernization opportunities including investigation and assessment of new tools and technologies relevant to the modernization of the electric distribution system and engagement with external counterparts, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices. Individual in this role will manage engineers in the Grid Modernization group in support of team goals and objectives.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams across three states from grid modernization, distribution engineering, system planning, substation engineering, telecommunications engineering, standards, system operations, field operations, IT, regulatory, legal, community relations, corporate strategy and other groups to ensure effective and efficient design and implementation of grid modernization programs.
- Manage a team of subject matter experts in grid modernization technologies such as distribution automation, DSCADA, distributed generation interconnection, system load flow energy storage, microgrids, and distribution management systems.
- Exhibit excellent written and oral communication skills, including support for executive level reviews and approvals.
- Participate in regulatory proceedings and external stakeholder forums to educate and advocate for the benefits of grid modernization programs.
- Demonstrate creative and rigorous thought leadership to identify and design opportunities to deploy technologies to advance the goals of distribution system modernization.
- Oversee project approval process and ensure effective project management is exercised in implementation of all grid modernization projects, including identification and correction of any risks to schedule or budget.
- Ensure the Company’s grid modernization strategic priorities are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Guide Company investigations of new technologies and tools in the industry, and assess the relevance of and benefit to the Company’s grid modernization efforts.
- Communicate the Company’s grid modernization initiatives externally as appropriate and participate in industry forums to support the Company’s position regarding best practices in grid modernization.
- Foster a productive, engaging and inclusive work environment in which open communication is encouraged and obstacles to open communication are addressed quickly.
- Promote and encourage a positive, cooperative and efficient work atmosphere.
- Guide direct reports when challenging situations are encountered and help them to be successful.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and communications within the leadership team to share ideas, spearhead inter-disciplinary projects and coordinate common work efforts.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as load flow, stability voltage regulation, power factor, losses etc.; strong analytical skills including experience using qualitative tools in strategic development; demonstrated business development aptitude with strong presentation skills; familiarity with grid modernization technologies; strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization; demonstrated competency and proficiency in oral and written communications. The ideal candidate is customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader; and makes sound decisions to support strategic objectives.
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology. A Master's degree in Engineering or MBA preferred.
Experience : A minimum of ten years of experience in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry required which includes managerial, supervisory and/or team leadership experience.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor