Eversource Energy Manager, Distribution System Planning in Westwood, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
Role and Scope of Position:
This position is accountable for ensuring the optimal performance and utilization of system assets through the management of the System Planning area for statewide Eversource electric distribution systems. This position manages the assessment of system adequacy and reliability, defining the need, size, location, priority, timing and justification of major system projects, incorporation of system capital investment proposals into the budget process, etc . Responsible for developing long term scenario-based plans for distribution system expansion, replacement and reinforcement. Responsible for prioritizing and developing the capital budget. The position is also accountable for maintaining the appropriate level of risk and maximizing system performance for a given level of investment. Provides technical support on operations issues and develops responses for technical questions from regulatory agencies. The position is also responsible for policy advocacy, establishing goals, monitoring and reporting results, and continuous improvement.
- Manages electric distribution system planning, including compliance with standards and regulations and environmental programs, policies, rules and regulations.
- Manages the development of System facilities plan to identify areas requiring additional facilities to permit growth and interconnections between distribution systems and other transmission companies.
- Coordinates activities across Company departments and with outside organizations including transmission companies.
- Provides focus to the changing needs of the distribution system based upon various scenarios and long- range outlook of load growth, EV (electric vehicle) penetration, PV (photovoltaic) growth among other evolving technologies.
- Establishes and monitors system network capabilities, utilization and performance measures.
- Collaborates with other departments/engineers on preliminary design of system projects.
- Respond to regulator changes and communicate to appropriate parties, represent ES at rate case hearings.
- Implements best practices to achieve efficient and effective planning activities.
- Manages the department by establishing and monitoring area goals, policies, plans, programs, performance objectives and budget.
- Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement programs and policies.
Establishes operational and financial objectives and aligns with department goals.
Oversees the management and development of area staff. Assesses the need for and oversees implementation of programs to ensure employees possess technical, interpersonal and organizational skills required to support operating plans. Supervises, selects, coaches and develops area staff.
- Requires thorough knowledge and experience in electric distribution planning, system analysis computer applications and modeling, operations support, budgeting, project analysis, working cross-functionally and communicating. Demonstrated leadership in strategic planning.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Electrical preferred. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years in system planning, engineering or operations management experience including supervisory experience.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects :
- Work includes calculating, comparing, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing, presenting, etc. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs