Eversource Energy GIS Software Engineer Programmer in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Responsible for working on projects that are currently being developed on by our company. Duties will include but are not limited to developing and directing software system validation and testing methods, as well as directing our software programming initiatives. IT GIS Software Engineer will also be working closely with clients and cross-functional departments to communicate project statuses and proposals.
Responsibilities include defining system functionality and writing code in various languages, like Java, Python or .NET programming languages (e.g. C++ or JScript.NET.). Employees should be familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment.
Ultimately, the role of the GIS Software Engineer is to build high-quality, innovative, and fully performing software that complies with coding standards and technical design.
- Analyze business / technical and related issues to formulate and develop or purchase new and/or modified computer programs and systems for ESRI/ArcFM GIS and Engineering Applications.
- Familiar with GE Smallworld GIS
- Coaches and reviews the work of lower-level professionals.
- Influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
- Works to achieve day-to-day objectives with major impact on operational results within work area.
- May manage small projects or processes within area of responsibility.
- May provide input or guidance to lower-level professionals with tasks and assignments.
- Problems and issues faced are general, and may require understanding of broader set of issues, and are sometimes complex.
- Problems typically involve consideration of multiple issues, work areas or specialties.
- Problems are typically solved through drawing from prior experience and analysis of issues.
- Responsible for making moderate improvements of processes, systems or products to enhance performance of work area.
- Communicates with parties within and outside of own department.
- May have responsibility for communicating with parties external to the organization (e.g., customers, vendors, etc.)
- Works to influence parties within and outside of work area at an operational level regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
- Does impactful and meaningful code reviews
- Effectively uses build automation tools such as Jenkins, Azure Dev Ops
- Familiar and effectively uses cloud services or industry standard frameworks
- Easily picks up new tools and incorporates them effectively into applications
- Comfortable working within Agile framework
- Writes automated tests for their work
- Seasoned professional contributor.
- Has advanced knowledge of work area.
- Problems faced are difficult and sometimes complex.
- Works autonomously with limited oversight from manager.
- Participates in hiring process, interviews
- Follows ES established engineering processes and standards effectively within their scope of work and domain
Delivers quality work on time with minimal supervision
Project level impact
- Takes ownership and can work autonomously on development tasks, delivering code on time and with a quality mindset.
- Able to refactor and abstract common problems into reusable components or services
- Detects meaningful problems in requirements
- Seeks understanding of cross-functional discipline work such as understanding of how users interact with product, how timeline affects scope and quality
- Effectively breaks down simple tasks
- Effectively manages the scope of their individual tasks
- Able to deliver their work despite inevitable distractions.
- Uses prior knowledge of tools and techniques to troubleshoot problems and make decisions
- Seeks input from colleagues with area expertise.
- Seeks feedback to improve and receives it well.
- Exhibits a growth mindset regarding feedback.
- Gives timely, helpful feedback to peers.
- Trusts teammates, assumes good intent, and able to disagree and commit.
- Communicates effectively with ES senior leadership and BU partners
- Works effectively as a team member; Stands behind quality of his/her work
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Advanced Degree in a related field preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience +
Relevant programming languages does not refer to languages such as Excel Macros, Word Macros, etc.
Examples of relevant databases are SQL Server, Oracle, PostgresSQL
Examples of relevant systems platforms are Unix, Windows, VM, etc.
GIS Technology are ESRI/ ArcFM Desktop, ArcPro, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Portal, ArcFM Web, Graphical Job Design, Collector, Navigator, Survey123 etc.
- Requires advanced knowledge of work area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have practical knowledge of project management. Practical to substantial knowledge of ES projects, programs, or systems with the ability to make enhancements and leverage in daily work.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs