Eversource Energy Electrical Engineer, Protection and Controls (Hybrid) in Westwood, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT : Transmission Protection and Controls
LOCATION : Westwood, MA
RATES OF PAY :
Gr.3: $46.21- $50.47- $54.57
CURRENTLY POSTED HOURS : 7:00AM – 3:30PM
SCHEDULE : M-F
Job Description Summary:
The Protection and Control Engineer is responsible for completing activities and assignments associated with the design and operation of protection and control systems necessary for the safe and reliable operation of the transmission and distribution system to meet the mission and objectives of the organization. In addition, this position will analyze protection system operations, and the appropriate resolutions, in order to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance. This position shares accountability with peers in the planning, project management, substation engineering, operations, and maintenance organizations to carry out the efficient and timely completion of system reliability projects, generation interconnection projects and system restoration and troubleshooting efforts.
- Review and evaluate proposed changes to existing electric facilities to ensure compatibility with established Eversource protection system standards and practices.
- Create new Protection and Control system designs in accordance with Eversource Standards as required.
- Specify materials associated with new or modified Protection and Control systems for assigned projects.
- Develop, calculate, and document settings and logic for protective relays, logic processors, feeder reclosers, and switches necessary to support Eversource system reliability projects and initiatives.
- Perform coordination studies by modeling and analyzing electric system elements and their protection systems using fault simulation software.
- Analyze protection system operations during transmission and distribution system disturbances in support of Substation Technical Group Event analysis.
- Interface with Eversource Planning, Operations and Field personnel to support their efforts to plan, operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system.
- Manage and perform work activities in a self-sufficient manner without frequent guidance and oversight.
- Perform peer checks of other group member designs and relay settings.
- Actively support storm and/or emergency restoration assignments.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. A focus in electric power systems engineering is preferred.
- Experience performing overcurrent and distance coordination studies with ASPEN One-liner modeling software or equivalent.
- Experience performing post event analysis using relay and digital fault recorder event records.
- Experience with the design and installation of protection and control schemes utilizing IEC61850 protocol.
Additionally, experience with the following would be beneficial:
SCADA, RTUs, HMIs, telecommunication, relay, substation, protection, control system, transmission, distribution, and power line carrier logic, coordination studies, relay settings, IEC 61850 , Automation, metering, measurement, ASPEN One-liner, relaying scheme, reclosers, programmable logic controller(PLC)
Protection and Control Engineering department executes project deliverables for measurement, automation and protection relaying schemes of the transmission and distribution to ensure safety, reliability, economy and system efficiency. Our personnel will apply advanced techniques and electrical engineering methodology for modeling and analyzing electric system elements and their protection systems using fault simulation software. Where applicable, activities are performed in compliance with applicable engineering design standards, safety codes and related NERC, NPCC, and ISO-NE compliance.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires sitting, standing, walking and climbing stairs are involved. Job can require traveling to operating districts, and companies within and outside the state. Job will also require travel to electrical substation and generation facilities as necessary for site walk downs and meetings.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs