Eversource Energy Director, Transmission Development and Interconnections in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Eversource Energy is the largest Energy delivery company in New England. We support 4 million Gas and Electric customers across CT, MA and NH. Be a part of our mission to deliver reliable energy and superior customer service. ENERGY- BRINGS US TOGETHER!!
Role and Scope of Position:
The Director, Transmission Interconnections and Development is a key strategic role in the Transmission organization with the responsibility of the direction and oversight of all aspects of transmission interconnections; implementing federal and state rules for transmission interconnections, negotiation with developers of wind, solar, storage and other interconnecting resources, filing of new interconnection agreements; administering existing interconnection contracts including financial and operational terms and conditions; and managing relationships with ISO-NE staff and specific third parties such as generators, utilities, public power and selected large customers relative to transmission interconnections / service.
Responsible for developing new strategies and early stage grid solutions including ones emerging from competitive solicitations such as FERC Order 1000, Transmission investments to co-optimize Eversource customer’s reliability needs and interconnection customers clean energy upgrades as well as applications for energy storage. Will work closely with all relevant departments at Eversource including System Planning, Engineering, Regulatory, Legal and Project Management.
Direction and oversight on all aspects of Transmission Interconnections and services;
Directs the representation of EVERSOURCE’s transmission interests in the New England regional process through which ISO-NE and the New England transmission owners establishes and revises tariff-based rules and procedures for the interconnection of generators subject to federal jurisdiction;
- Oversees development and documentation of EVERSOURCE policies related to transmission interconnections for implementation of regional tariffs and guidelines addressing items such as: planning/studies, siting/permitting, construction, and maintenance activities;
- Ensures development and management of internal work procedures and metrics (including the distribution company interface) for interconnecting generators under federal and states guidelines consistent with established EVERSOURCE policy;
- Negotiating and coordinating all new three-party agreements, studies and FERC filed contracts with ISO-NE and third parties, such as generators, utilities, public power and selected large customers, in accordance with regional tariffs and FERC orders;
- Leadership on management of existing interconnection agreements ensuring all operational, financial and administrative terms and conditions are complied with in an effective and efficient manner;
- Coordination of transmission construction related items with generators as required by existing contracts;
Leading early stage development of Grid Solutions including;
- Identification of opportunities to collaborate or partner with interconnection customers on Transmission upgrades
- Developing and manage a process to analyze and present to leadership Grid investment opportunities from a financial, operational (reliability) and strategic perspectives including advancing Eversource and the regions Clean Energy objectives.
- Manage early stage project and bid development for Transmission projects to be developed by Eversource’s regulated business including opportunities arising from FERC Order 1000 or State procurements.
- Network with industry leaders including participating on key conferences, boards and taskforces to further relationships and develop opportunities for collaboration
Direct Internal and External Collaboration and Alignment on Transmission Interconnection policies, including;
Periodic meetings with ISO and State level stakeholders;
- Regular collaboration meetings with key internal stakeholders to ensure alignment and timely information exchange.
- Direct a staff of Managerial and Professional resources including external consultants and contractors.
- Experience with early stage Transmission and or Generation Development, in a competitive environment
- Demonstrated expertise in negotiation of complex issues with multiple parties.
- Thorough knowledge of ISO-NE tariff schedule 22 and 23 for generator interconnections, applicable engineering, work practices and procedures, and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of Federal, ISO-NE, NERC and State Transmission development, planning, interconnection and operating procedures as well as Market policies
- Strong ability to understand and communicate complex issues in a simple and understandable manner verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with personnel at various levels within ISO-NE, other transmission owners, NEPOOL members, and generation owners.
- Ability to “think on your feet”
- Project management skills.
- Demonstrate expertise in relationship/team building and key stakeholder relationship building.
- Demonstrate ability to influence and lead others.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the EVERSOURCE organization, agencies of federal and state government, other organizations, and the media.
- Baccalaureate degree in engineering, political science, liberal arts, business administration, or the equivalent.
- Engineering degree preferred.
- Masters or law degree desirable.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years related experience.
- Prior experience representing or negotiating business interests with a developer, regional or industry organization.
- Experience developing competitive transmission or generation projects.
Licenses & Certifications: None
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects : Leadership Behaviors/Competencies:
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs