Eversource Energy Director, Strategic Project Development Transmission in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
The Director is a key strategic role in the Transmission organization with the responsibility for the direction and oversight of all aspects of successful development of key Strategic Projects, from identification through planning, engineering, budgeting, scheduling, siting, permitting and construction. Responsible for working cross-functionally within Transmission and throughout the company to identify projects in or affecting the Transmission capital plan with strategic and/or programmatic importance to the company and driving execution of tasks to meet capital plan as well as corporate goals. Establish structures for internal and external communication regarding project issues and status and will be accountable for creating strategies to ensure that Strategic Projects remain on time and on budget. The Director will work closely with the Directors of Siting and Project Services, and with the teams that source new Strategic Projects (Interconnection, Planning, and Asset Management) to ensure alignment and cooperative communication on Strategic Project execution matters.
Responsible for developing new strategies for prosecuting strategic projects, including internal analytics, external communications and stakeholder relationship building in collaboration with other teams to support the Company’s role as the provider of solutions for customers’ and states’ clean energy, zero carbon system changes, including energy efficiency, energy storage, and other non-wires alternatives. Will work closely with all relevant departments at Company including System Planning, Engineering, Regulatory, Legal and Project Management.
Directs and oversees on all aspects of Transmission Strategic Project Development:
Collaborates with Interconnection team on identification of interconnection and transmission projects, including competitive solicitations, and take on management from Interconnection team at the appropriate stage of project development once advanced to that stage by the Interconnection team. Work collaboratively with Interconnection team to ensure appropriate cost recovery mechanisms are able to be implemented
- Oversees development and documentation of Company policies related to development and execution of strategic transmission projects addressing items such as: planning/studies, siting/permitting, construction, and maintenance activities
- Ensures development and management of internal work procedures and metrics (including the distribution company interface) for strategic projects consistent with established Company policy
- Negotiates and coordinates all external agreements, including community benefit and other mitigation arrangements for Strategic projects
Leadership on ensuring all Transmission and Company operational, financial, and administrative requirements for Strategic projects are complied with in an effective and efficient manner
Leads early stage development of Strategic Projects including
Identifies opportunities to collaborate or partner with external parties on Strategic projects
- Develops and manages a process to analyze and brief leadership regarding Strategic project risks and opportunities from financial, operational (reliability) and strategic perspectives including advancing Company and the regions Clean Energy objectives.
- Manages early stage project development for Strategic projects to be developed by Company, in partnership with Interconnection, Project Management, and Planning.
Networks with external advocacy and other issue-driven city stakeholders and potential project development partners (such as real estate developers and Planning Boards), to further relationships and develop opportunities for collaboration and co-development
Directs internal and external Collaboration and alignment on Strategic Project development and execution, including:
Periodic meetings with external stakeholders and partners
Regular collaboration meetings with key internal stakeholders to ensure alignment and timely information exchange, including Government Affairs, Community Relations, and other teams with direct relationships on which successful Strategic projects depend
Directs a staff of Managerial and Professional resources including external consultants and contractors.
- Experience with successful development to placed-in-service of Transmission and/or Generation or other infrastructure projects, in a competitive environment
- Demonstrated expertise in negotiation of complex issues with multiple parties, including formal and informal organizations and stakeholders
- Thorough knowledge of electric Transmission and Distribution grid in New England.
- Knowledge of New England green energy, net zero carbon and clean technology policies, laws, and initiatives
- Strong ability to understand and communicate complex issues in a simple and understandable manner verbally and in writing
- Ability to “think on your feet”
- Strategy development and project management skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in relationship/team building and key stakeholder relationship building.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and lead others.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the Company organization, agencies of federal and state government, agency, market, community stakeholders and other partners, and the media.
- Baccalaureate degree in engineering, political science, liberal arts, business administration, related degree, or equivalent experience
- Masters, law, or other advanced qualification desirable
- Minimum of twelve (12) years related experience, including managing successful project development teams
- Experience developing competitive infrastructure projects
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects : Leadership Behaviors/Competencies:
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities, and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs