Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. System Operator I, II or Senior (IRC25246) in Westminster, Colorado
Responsible for the real time operation of the Association transmission assets in a safe and reliable manner. The position is tasked with the authority and responsibility to operate the Tri-State transmission system in such a manner as to comply with all applicable North American Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Regional Reliability Organization standards. This position is a shift position to cover 24 hours, 7 days per week. Responsible for the coordination of switching and outage requests with Members, other interconnected utilities, and within Tri-State. Prepare/approve switching programs in advance of requested date of execution and Directs and coordinates routine and emergency switching including issuing clearances and other protective orders to field personnel and coordinate with interconnected utilities.
Note:There is one position available, and the position will be filled at one of 3 levels: System Operator I (NB19), System Operator II (NB21) or Senior System Operator (NB22). This decision will be made based on the qualifications of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior System Operator duties include:
- Prepare/approve switching programs in advance of requested date of execution.
- Using advance Energy Management System (EMS) simulation tools model all switching programs to identify and mitigate any reliability issues.
- Direct and coordinate routine and emergency switching including issuing clearances and other protective orders to field personnel and coordinate with interconnected utilities.
- Coordinate routine and emergency activities with Member systems and other interconnected utilities.
- Monitor transmission system events and conditions utilizing EMS, to include but not limited to line trips, system voltages, line loading, and equipment status.
- Monitor transmission system and take immediate actions to correct or mitigate undesirable system conditions and maintain transmission system reliability.
- Monitor network applications, including State Estimator and Real-Time Contingency Analysis, for potential Transmission System reliability issues and take action to mitigate any reliability issues.
- Develop and approve mitigations for Real-Time Transmission System emergencies
- Assist with training activities of new employees, System Operator I & II, and Transmission System Operator Trainees as needed.
- Monitor Tri-State generation resources to ensure system reliability and compliance with the applicable NERC and Regional Reliability Entity Standards. Monitor and ensure adequate reserves are available at all times and distributed appropriately.
- During emergency system conditions, restore load and generation balance, utilize and replace operating reserves as required, and provide emergency assistance as requested or required to ensure system reliability, as provided for under the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Standards of Conduct.
- Perform Senior System Operator duties at the Backup Control Center (BCC) as needed during emergencies and during periodic BCC drills and exercises.
- Monitor the EMS Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system for generation system events and abnormal conditions. Monitor generating units for Power System Stabilizer (PSS) and Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) status.
- Participate in Regional System Blackstart system restoration drills.
- Participate in all required training to maintain a valid NERC Certification.
General System Operations duties:
- Operate voice and radio communications systems to communicate with interconnected utilities and field personnel.
- Coordinate at various internal and external corporate levels to exchange information and coordinate reliable operations.
- Coordinate with System Operating Engineers and assist with system studies and related matters.
- Assist the Transmission Service Operators as needed. Coordinate with the Open Access Same-Time Information System (OASIS) desk to ensure all real time changes to Available Transmission Capacity (ATC) is communicated.
- Maintain operational records and logs.
- Post information on reliability messaging tools as required, and monitor these messages for incoming reliability information.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Tri-State System Operator Trainee Program or other qualified System Operator Trainee program.
- NERC Certification at Reliability Coordinator (RC) level and maintain certification by obtaining required continuing education hours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Working knowledge of algebra, geometry and basic principles of physics.
- Working knowledge of electrical and mechanical theory, AC and DC circuits and the fundamental of power flow.
- Extensive knowledge of electrical utility systems, equipment and all phases of transmission operations.
- Extensive knowledge of corporate security and fire alarm system and related procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of safety rules and equipment.
- Ability to direct the work of other System Operators and assist in training new employees and/or trainees.
- Ability to distinguish full range of colors in order to be successful with completing duties involving the use of computer displays to monitor color-coded electric system diagrams.
- Ability to use and learn various computer applications.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Ability to maintain good working relationship both internal and external.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in routine and emergency situations.
The Senior System Operator requires 5 or more years System Operator II experience, or an equivalent level of experience on an interconnected electrical system, to include six (6) months minimum on the Tri-State system at a System Operator II level.
- Willingness to work rotating shifts with extra and/or irregular hours including holidays.
- Willingness to travel as required. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in Electricity, Mathematics, or Business or other closely related discipline preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, and bend. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to distinguish colors, and the ability to adjust focus. May require the ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to read, write, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to moderate level of noise. Majority of duties are performed indoors primarily at a desk.
Job Title: System Operator I, II or Senior (IRC25246)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Headquarters - Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran