Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Senior Manager, Employee Relations (IRC26755) in Westminster, Colorado
This leadership position actively supports and delivers on Tri-State's mission to provide Member Systems with a reliable, cost based supply of electricity while maintaining a sound financial position through effective utilization of human, capital and physical resources in accordance with cooperative principles, through management and direction of employee relations, including, but not limited to, labor relations, employee performance and correction, worker's compensation, equal employment opportunity/affirmative action, employment law compliance and unemployment compensation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all aspects of Labor Relations including, but not limited to, negotiating and administering labor agreements, representing Tri-State in grievances, arbitrations, and National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) proceedings, proactively addressing issues with applicable unions and represented employees, training and holding supervisors and managers accountable for compliance with applicable labor agreements and laws, and engaging in union-avoidance strategies with the non-represented workforce.
- Responsible for corporate-wide performance management including, but not limited to, providing training and support for supervision and management to hold their employees accountable for meeting reasonable performance and safety expectations, administering Tri-State's fitness for duty program and advising supervision and management of options concerning corrective actions or discharge for employees who fail to meet expectations.
- Administer all facets of workers' compensation program.
- Manage Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action programs.
- Oversee employment law compliance throughout the organization including providing appropriate staff with relevant information and expertise to enable them to complete their jobs in a legally compliant manner and evaluating legal risks in the employment environment, advising executives and senior management of those risks and taking proactive and reactive measures to mitigate the risks.
- Responsible for continually reviewing and updating policies, programs and procedures as they relate to employee relations function.
- Maintain working knowledge of all aspects of labor relations and employment law.
- Oversee unemployment compensation program.
- Responsible for managing ethics hotline complaints.
- Participate on various committees as needed.
- Provide benchmarking for Board of Directors' (BOD) compensation, annual evaluation of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Senior Manager, Internal audit.
- Manage department budget and forecasting.
Business Continuity/Crisis Management:
- Direct development, implementation and continuous improvement of an enterprise business continuity/crisis management function that identifies the process for establishing authorities, responsibilities, rules and guidelines that ensures business continuity and 100% compliance.
- Provide direction and actively participate on Crisis Management Team. Address identified issues and concerns.
- Ensure the annual review and revision of all programs, procedures and plan documents related to business continuity and crisis management.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, county and local laws and regulations related to business continuity standards and guidelines.
- Ensure that appropriate relationships are established with agencies, law enforcement, first responders, etc.
- Enterprise Focus and Leadership: Understand and embrace the tenants of the annual Business Plan, and ensure adherence to enterprise vision, mission, values, strategies, goals, objectives and priorities. Establish clear focus and direction for direct reports and program areas. Effectively leads through change and adversity, and demonstrates the ability to successfully resolve issues as they arise. Participate in key substantive discussions, and supports decisions. Establishes a positive and supportive environment for employees.
- Member System Focus: Continually support Tri-State's Mission and identify opportunities to serve Member Systems more effectively. Is a champion of the cooperative business model and embraces the Cooperative Principles.
- Ensure 100% compliance with all laws, rules, regulations and requirements in functional areas. Ensure established business processes are captured and maintained as part of Tri-State's Policies, Programs and Procedures (PP&P;) strategy.
- Ensure that training and development needs for each employee have been identified and that adequate learning opportunities are provided. Ensure employees are provided coaching and mentoring opportunities as appropriate.
- Ensure that team and individual employee execution is evaluated against established goals and objectives for all accountabilities. Ensures that delegated functions effectively forecast work and resource needs, including human, capital and physical resources, and recommends annual budgets to meet goals and objectives aligned to support enterprise strategies, goals and objectives. Actively monitors performance against budget, identifies variances, and backcasts against forecasts to identify and learn from error.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Leadership: Demonstrated ability to identify functional area business needs and establish goals and objectives to ensure alignment with enterprise goals.
- Planning: Ability to think ahead and plan upcoming initiatives including prioritizing workload, developing schedules and meeting deadlines.
- Management/Supervision: Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and assigned staff. .
- Time management: the ability to prioritize and schedule projects and meet deadlines.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both strategic and functional levels.
- Business risks: ability to weigh business risks and ensure compliance with appropriate information security measures.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, or other related field of study, or the equivalent experience gained through progressively greater responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Strong knowledge of collective bargaining agreements.
- Extensive knowledge of employment law and fair employment practices.
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to build strong relationships with executives, managers, and labor groups.
- Strategic long-term planning and goal setting to anticipate future opportunities and issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to articulate complex ideas to a broad audience.
- Strong, proven problem-solving skills and the ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems, driving solutions through to completion.
- Must be able to uphold the highest standard of discretion and confidentiality.
- Twelve (12) years of related labor and employee relations, employment law compliance, fair employment practices, and performance management, five (5) years of which must have been in a managerial capacity.
- Strong Labor Relations experience including contract negotiations.
- Willingness to travel as required for training and meetings throughout service territory.
- Must be able to perform all of the essential responsibilities.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Juris Doctorate degree in employment law
- Designation as either a Senior Professional of Human Resources (SPHR) or Society of Human Resources Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Labor Relations Professional Certification
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, bend and frequently utilize a keyboard/computer. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent will be required to problem solve, read, write and analyze data, work under schedules and deadline pressure, present information to others, work independently and use discretion and judgment for confidential or sensitive projects/issues.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to an office environment indoors, and will occasionally travel outdoors to multiple locations dependent on work.
Job Title: Senior Manager, Employee Relations (IRC26755)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Headquarters, Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 20%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran