Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Accountant I, II or III (General Accounting) (IRC28172) in Westminster, Colorado
Under direction, performs a variety of professional level accounting duties involved in establishing and maintaining accounting systems for entities that have contracted with Tri-State Generation and Transmission and to record and interpret financial data in support of the accounting services function. Responsible for preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying, and reconciling complex financial transactions, statements, records, and reports; maintains the accuracy of financial systems; assists in the preparation of assigned budgets, annual audit, and year end closing; and provides highly responsible staff assistance to assigned management staff.
Note: Please note that there is only one vacancy. Applicants will be considered for an Accountant I, II or III level position based on overall qualifications.
Salary Grades: Accountant I - NB16; II - NB18; III - NB20
* ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Provide technical direction and develop/maintain appropriate systems and procedures to record and interpret financial data, and assist with the processing and import of transactions to accounting systems.
- Prepare special reports, accounting analyses, calculations and allocations, as required, and recommend/implement improvements for efficiency.
- Assist in maintenance of the account structure to facilitate internal and external reporting.
- Prepare reconciliations of general ledger accounts on a routine basis and upon special request, to ensure that balances are correct and that subsidiary records are in agreement with general ledger control accounts.
- Prepare financial reports required by various regulatory authorities and assist with preparing management reports, as required.
- Assist with verifying appropriateness, accuracy and validity of all recorded transactions and compliance with requirements imposed by laws, contracts and policy.
- Provide technical assistance to corporate personnel, and act as liaison with other areas to facilitate flow of information.
- Implement appropriate control and maintenance procedures for accounting functions, participate in the monthly and annual general ledger closing process, and assist in preparation of financial statements.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other related duties as assigned**
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.**
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.__
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Ability to perform detail work with high degree of accuracy.
- A bility to maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Familiarity with project management software/techniques.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and reconciliation procedures.
- Familiarity with accounting allocation procedures, account validation rules and system interrelationships with General Ledger.
- Familiarity with current issues related to local, state and federal regulations, as applicable to accounting, tax and current accounting issues.
- Extensive working knowledge of personal computers, computerized accounting systems, MS Office suite and familiarity with report writer applications.__
- Five (5) years of progressive accounting experience in general ledger.__
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Willingness to travel as required. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Proficiency with calculator.**
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in electric utility accounting, desired. **
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and push/pull objects of varying weights, and lift up to twenty-five pounds. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel, objects or controls, talk and hear.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to a moderate level of noise. All of the duties are performed indoors and at a desk, operating office equipment.
Job Title: Accountant I, II or III (General Accounting) (IRC28172)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: HQ - Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran