Pacific Gas & Electric Company Engineering Estimator, Gas-ESC (West Sacramento) in West Sacramento, California
Requisition ID # 14157
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
Job Location : West Sacramento
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States.And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan.It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services.They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic informationor any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Gas Distribution Portfolio Management and Engineering Department, Valves & Regulation Components Group, is responsible for providing design for modifications to existing Distribution District Regulating Station Assets, as well as new and replacement main line valve installations, system-wide throughout the PG&E territory. Design support is provided to Gas Pipeline Operations and Maintenance, Division Maintenance, Division Maintenance & Construction as well as General Construction. The group also provides support to other programs and estimating work streams, including Corrosion, Services and Deactivations.
This is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to collective bargaining.
This position will be responsible for gas distribution and service design for new or existing facilities. Reconstruction work includes programs such as GPRP, CSRP. HPR, Aldly-A, Reliability and Capacity.
The position requires up to 30% travel, mainly within the designated footprint.
• Prepare cost estimates and construction plans.
• Make field sketches and prepare layouts for construction of additions or improvements to electric or gas systems of such a nature that the plans and methods are embodied in existing standards, specifications, rules, and regulations.
• Estimate labor and material costs; initiate right-of-way procedures, licenses, permits, etc., and perform such other work as required to prepare the estimate in final form.
• Perform customer to agency contact, project coordination.
• Prepare final sketch or layout and cost estimates for more complex jobs from field notes prepared by an employee in a higher classification.
• Possess high school diploma or GED equivalent
• Must have a valid Class C California Driver's License or ability to obtain by first day of employment
• Internal PG&E employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB), Technical Test (TECH), and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI)* exams prior to applying
• External and Hiring Hall applicants: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Technical Test (TECH) exams and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI)* exams prior to interviewing
- Note: Employees applying via URA do not need to meet requirement if held the same or higher classification in the line of progression.
• Bachelor degree in mechanical, civil or related engineering field or any combination of training, education, and work experience
• Minimum 1 year of experience with architectural, civil, or mechanical drafting and ability to review and understand architectural/civil plans and mechanical drawings
• Relevant experience at PG&E or through Hiring Hall
• Minimum 2 years of experience with AutoCAD (2009 or later version)
• Demonstrated experience working with customers on resolving issues or working on projects together
• Minimum 1 year experience in demonstrating effective project management / process oriented and negotiation skills
• Intermediate Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
• Experience with web-based software (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.)
• Familiar with CPUC tariffs (Gas Rule 2, 15, 16)
• Minimum 1 year of experience using SAP
• Minimum 1 year of utility operations knowledge and experience.
• Gas design technical skills
• General gas business knowledge
• Strong organizational skills
• Bilingual candidates in Spanish, Chinese or Cantonese
• Minimum 1 year of knowledge and experience with PG&E gas system and construction standards.
• Familiar with PG&E Green Book requirement to establish gas service.