Southern Company Engineer (Elec Design) - Plant Vogtle 1&2 in Waynesboro, Georgia
Engineer (Elec Design) - Plant Vogtle 1&2
Engineer, Electrical Design – Plant Vogtle Units 1 & 2
Southern Nuclear, a subsidiary of Southern Company, manages and operates six nuclear power electric generating plants that provide approximately 20 percent of the electricity used in Alabama and Georgia. Southern Nuclear is leading the nuclear renaissance by building the first new U.S. nuclear reactors currently under construction at Plant Vogtle that will make the facility the largest in the U.S. with four reactors on site. This is an exciting time to join the Southern Company team and share your talents with a growing and progressive organization!
The successful candidate will work in the Site Design Department at Plant Vogtle. The mission of the Design Engineering Functional Area is to provide technical conscience and leadership by ensuring physical configuration changes to design are of high quality, are budgeted, planned, scheduled and implemented in a cost-effective manner. This includes performing reviews and approvals of design products, planning and resource allocation review, assessment of readiness for inspections and outages, and analysis of trends, data, and other performance information.
Specifically, the Design Engineer will:
• Provide Technical Oversight Review of analysis and calculations for A/E prepared designs (provide input to site project leads/project engineers).
• Prepare and review analyses and engineering specifications in support of design and licensing activities.
• Investigate / resolve engineering issues in accordance with the Corrective Action Program (CAP).
• Participate in quality review/challenge board activities
• Participate in A/E feedback and grading activities
• Serve as a mentor for Site Design Engineers
• Lead or participate in site readiness reviews and assessments
• Perform Technical Oversite Reviews for other engineering products as requested
• Provide support of other Site Design group responsibilities as needed
• The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements.
• ABET accredited BS in Engineering (not Engineering Technology) OR current PE (Professional Engineer) license required, advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 8 years of power plant operations or other related industrial experience strongly preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years nuclear power related experience strongly preferred.
• Design modifications experience preferred.
• Engineering Analysis experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Strong knowledge of nuclear power plant design and systems
• Strong knowledge of design processes and configuration control processes
• Strong knowledge of PWR design bases is preferred
• Strong knowledge of applicable design codes and standards
• Strong familiarity with calculations is desired
• Proven organization skills with ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
• Capable of working efficiently and effectively across organizations
• Strong problem solving, decision making abilities
• Attention to detail
• Customer focused
• Broad design knowledge
• Technical writing and presentation skills
• Works through conflicts to create positive, workable situations
• Decision Making
• Sense of urgency
• Highly motivated
• Makes principled, data-based decisions that take critical factors into account
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations
• Holds self-accountable for superior results
• Works well as contributing member of a team
• Respects the dignity of every individual and different viewpoints
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company success
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America ’ s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America ’ s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune ’ s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle - 7821 River Road (7821WAYNESBORO)
7821 River Road
Req ID: SNC2005376
- Southern Company Jobs