Southern Company Auditor - Operations & Construction in Waynesboro, Georgia
Auditor - Operations & Construction
This position is responsible for conducting routine and limited non-routine operational audits or reviews. The functional areas of responsibility include Major Construction and Contract Development/Administration. This position will work under the guidance of more experienced auditors on complex audits involving areas considered high risk to the Company.
The successful candidate should possess a general understanding of construction practices and have experience in auditing or administering contracts; should be able to gather information through interviews, observations, review of records and data analytics ; and make assessment of adherence to company operational or regulatory policies and procedures. Candidates must be able to clearly and confidently communicate audit results both verbally and in writing and to clearly document their work consistent with professional standards and departmental practices. Candidates must be flexible and have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
This position may be located in either Atlanta or Augusta, GA. Travel throughout the Southern Company system may be required.
· Understand the functional business area(s) under review
· Apply professional judgment in assessing the current state of the business area under review, comparing that state to what should be and recommending actions to be taken
· Build and sustain professional relationships with audit clients across all business units
· Manage assigned responsibilities effectively to meet project budgets and make productive use of time
· Collaborate effectively with audit team members on individual assignments or departmental initiatives
- Support the performance of investigations on an as-needed basis.
· Participate in appropriate external organizations to obtain personal and professional development and to identify and share leading practices within the organization
· Work effectively in a team environment
· Overnight travel within the Southern Company territory as required
· Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Engineering, Accounting, Finance or other relevant field
· Advanced degree is a plus
· It is anticipated that the applicant will possess or obtain at least one job-related certification within two years of entering the department. Examples of job-related certifications include: Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Construction Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, Professional Engineer or Certified Fraud Examiner
· Prior internal auditing, internal controls and compliance experience is desired, but not required
· Prior experience in the construction industry is desired
· Prior experience with the development and/or administration of contracts is desired
· Prior project management experience is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Effective project management, time management and analytical skills
· Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
· Proficient computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Proficiency with relevant applications (PIMS, Primavera, Maximo, etc) is desired.
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to adapt to changing demands, multi-task and manage competing priorities
· Ability to use good judgment and to make sound decisions
· Understanding of risk management, internal controls and governance
· Strong work ethic
· Self-motivated with positive attitude
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Responds well to feed-back and coaching
· Able to contribute to planning and direction-setting activities
· Models “Our Values”: Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance and Total Commitment
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Other Locations: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 50 % of the Time
Southern Company Headquarters - 30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW (30ATLANTA)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW
Plant Vogtle 3 & 4 - 7825 River Road (7825WAYNESBORO)
7825 River Road
Req ID: SCS2007356