National Grid US Director, UK Senior Manager, Risk Management in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Director, Risk Management.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
In this role you will support the US risk community in maintaining a rigorous risk identification, assessment and management approach. You will advise and challenge the control and mitigation plans within the business, whilst providing bottom-up/top down Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) support. Alongside this you will support and facilitate the US Risk Committee providing best practice support and coaching across the region.
• Provide best practice support and coaching (including BMS, risk appetite, risk universe monitoring, Key Risk Indicators etc) across US region
• Re-baseline US principle risk profile and risk universe, utilising NG horizon scanning processes
• Ensure appropriate risk and control mapping is in place across the region
• Monitor adherence to group risk appetite through portfolio wide Key Risk Indicators
• Advocate and share group and regional priorities top down
• Ensure NG Enterprise Risk Management protocols and specialist risk protocols are aligned across the region, supported by the NG Global Enablement team
• Ensure optimal use of Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) tooling across the US region
• Work with Compliance leads to align compliance and risk efforts and activities across the US region
• Facilitate regional risk deep dives
• Facilitate US Risk Committee and reporting requirements, as well as inputting to group reporting via the NG Global Enablement team
• Degree qualified, or able to demonstrate significant experience and expertise of risk management
• Experience and/or significant familiarization within the utility industry gas, electric, transmission, generation operations desirable
• Minimum 5+ years’ managerial experience
• Strong understanding of risk, controls and assurance activities
• Influential, energetic and enthusiastic business leader, with the drive, ambition and resilience to make things happen and deliver outstanding performance
• Ability to interface and influence senior leaders across the business, to drive change and continuous improvement
• A strong, successful record in providing strategic leadership, implementing change, stakeholder management, and delivering against business objectives
• Ability to successfully bring together and drive cooperation across diverse teams with potentially conflicting goals and objectives
• Demonstrates the ability to build an independent opinion of business needs, problems and/or opportunities and design appropriate solutions.
• Translate risk requirements into business language to create common understanding and ‘why’
• Actively consider and share how the business needs to respond to emerging trends, opportunities, and issues
• Understand how risk, compliance and assurance frameworks apply and ‘join the dots’ with other parts of the business
• Constructively challenge status quo, share ideas and best practice
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.
National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.