National Grid Product Owner, Operational Technology (OT) in Waltham, Massachusetts
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
National Grid is hiring a Product Owner, Operational Technology (OT) for our security team in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid delivers gas and electricity to many millions of people across Great Britain and North Eastern US in an efficient, reliable, secure and safe manner. We protect our people, our premises, and digital systems with the objective of maintaining trust in National Grid services. Our mission which we believe in and are excited by is the opportunity to create a world class Security team to defend critical national infrastructure in the UK and US and the millions of customer communities that we serve.
Cyber Security Services are responsible for the planning, design, implementation and ongoing support of effective cyber solutions. Our vision is to be recognised as a world leading Security function in the energy sector and a trusted partner across National Grid businesses. Working alongside engineering, the Product Team drive and deliver the long-term product vision, strategy, and continually align the products with the organization’s needs.
We are looking for a Product Owner in the OT domain, to specialise in security controls across multiple capabilities. This is a critical security domain ensuring the security of our networks and keep UK and US energy services secure using the latest technologies and innovations.
As a Product Owner you will drive the development and release of innovative products, features and services that answer pressing business needs. You will inspire the team to achieve our product vision by creating and effectively communicating the roadmap and associated products. You will work to the OT Product Manager to deliver on the roadmap by writing descriptive, achievable requirements. You will promote agile working practises and partner with the Business Partnering and Integration (BP&I) teams and the OT Delivery & Engineering teams to define and design and ensure the product vision is achievable. You will bring the customer voice to the conversation and ensure the delivery of value to our customers.
This is a new role within a new team who have recently transformed to new ways of working. We are looking for an experienced Product Owner with good OT cyber security knowledge, experience of working alongside engineering teams and high impact leadership skills. This is a great opportunity to help build a high performing team in a critical infrastructure industry.
• Impactful; delivering value through continuous improvement of products and services to secure our environment.
• Accountability for development of products in the OT domain to create successful business outcomes.
• Plan for feature releases against an agile/engineering framework, support OT engineering to deliver against goals, manage user expectations and maximize value to customers across the full product lifecycle.
• Work to and collaborate with the OT Product Manager, other Product Owners, and the OT Delivery & Engineering teams.
• Ability to work both with security engineers on a technical level, business stakeholders and manage vendor relationships.
• Good understanding of OT technologies and environments, cyber threats, and risks, to inform decision making.
• Prioritize Engineering effort effectively; manage trade-offs between tactical priorities and strategic fit and use data on current performance and threat insights to inform decisions.
• Work with the BP&I team to fully understand customer, business and stakeholder needs, desires and area trends and keep them at the centre of all you do.
• Provide OT Product expertise for the rest of the organisation, invest in understanding current innovations and practices and bringing these to life within National Grid.
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know How
• Strong track record of understanding customer needs, creating innovative outcomes to problems and leading OT Engineering teams to deliver successful products and projects.
• Adept at working with users and groups at all levels to obtain requirements.
• A critical thinker with an analytical mind-set and adept at evaluating opportunities to reach goals.
• Significant experience of OT functional & security domains and technologies.
• Knowledge/experience of typical enterprise/agile tools; MS O365, SNOW, Jira, Confluence
• Experience of working with global teams and stakeholders
• Prior Critical National Infrastructure (CNI) and utility industry security experience preferred, particularly NIST Cyber Security Framework (CSF) and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation Critical Infrastructure Protection (NERC CIP) and IEC61850 Substation Communication & Automation
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Good communications and team leadership skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in cyber security, engineering, business management or related disciplines (or relevant professional experience)
• 3 years minimum experience in an OT Product or Engineering role with responsibility for, and demonstrable success with, at least one major internal enterprise, external commercial or consumer product (or equivalent)
• English language fluency
• 3+ years of demonstrable OT Cyber security experience
• Strong knowledge and experience of designing and implementing technical solutions within the OT Security domain
• CISSP, CISM, SANS GICSP or other ICS/OT/IEC62443 related security qualification
• Training and certification as a Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) or as a Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO).
• At least 1 years of experience in OT Delivery projects
• Experience leveraging Design Thinking concepts to build digital experiences to meet customer needs
• Experience of working as a security architect working closely with business stakeholders
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.