National Grid Principal Solution Architect - DevOps in Waltham, Massachusetts
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, technically talented DevOps Principal Solution Architect who can influence the architecture and design solutions for major initiatives within our DevOps Tools & Engineering team.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for driving the technical direction of the National Grid Enterprise DevOps platform and providing technical expertise in designing and implementing the architecture and design of DevOps related solutions (e.g., Continuous Integration (CI) & Continuous Delivery (CD). The candidate will have a un paralelled architecture background and will maintain the DevOps tools technical roadmap, evaluate and recommend new tools, and provide solution vision and conceptual solution architecture needed for implementation. The candidate will present DevOps concepts, capabilities, processes, and tools to a wide range of stakeholders, including IT Executive Leadership.
• Strong Architecture skills and extensive experience in designing and implementing the architecture and design of new capabilities and tools of the Enterprise DevOps platform.
• Experience working across a wide range of application lifecycle management capabilities, such as, Agile Planning, Source Code Management, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Infrastructure Automation, Test Automation, Performance Testing, Application Performance Management, etc.
• Experience in establishing DevOps related patterns and frameworks to drive standardization and reuse.
• Deep understanding of best practices across DevOps processes, such as, CI/CD and enterprise tools, such as, Jira, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Sonarqube, Ansible Tower, Selenium, and Neoload.
• Strong technical skills across the tools used within the Enterprise DevOps platform and in designing scalable CI/CD pipeline implementation approaches for a wide range of technologies and applications (custom and COTS).
• Ability to Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities to improve the maturity of DevOps capabilities, processes and tools within the organization.
• Communicates effectively (both written and oral) to a wide range of IT Stakeholders, including IT Executive Leadership and can deliver difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
• Proactively assesses the industry trends of DevOps capabilities and tools.
• Expertise in Azure cloud hosting environment and services.
• Understands how to define, systematically collect, and report DevOps metrics to measure DevOps effectiveness.
• Provides Architectural direction of the Enterprise DevOps Platform and maintains DevOps tools technical roadmap. Creates and maintains solution vision and conceptual solution architecture documentation.
• Provides definition of DevOps patterns and implementation approaches for CI/CD pipelines.
• Provides process definition for CI/CD pipelines.
• Establishes and enforces DevOps standards to drive consistency in implementation approaches and to enable scale.
• Ensures DevOps solutions are in line with National Grid Security and SOX Policies.
• Develops technical proof of concepts to assess new tools or implementation approaches.
• Designs reusable DevOps components (e.g. quality and security scans) to support standardized pipelines and code reuse.
• Maintains accountability to Enterprise Architecture for all technology and design decisions.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering.
• 3+ of DevOps related projects / DevOps experience in a complex Global IT organization.
• 12+ years direct experience working in the software development life cycle.
• Must have excellent oral and written communication, which includes: creating and delivering effective presentations, meeting facilitation, negotiation, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
• Must be strong team player and able to partner effectively across the IT organization.
• Master’s degree in computer science or computer engineering.
• Azure Solution Architect certification.
• TOGAF 9 certified.
• Subject area foundational knowledge with Utility systems preferred.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.