National Grid Media Communications Lead Program Manager in Waltham, Massachusetts
Superpowered. Meaningful work. Human impact. A story we’re proud to tell. This is what matters to us at National Grid. In a world of complexity and unanswered questions, there is one thing we’re certain about: the power of our people.
Join us in our goal to deliver 100% fossil-free heat to our customers by 2050!
National Grid is hiring a Media Communications Lead Program Manager. This position can be based in our Brooklyn, NY or Waltham, MA offices.
The position will manage external communications activities in US Corporate Communications. US Corporate Communications is responsible for advancing and protecting National Grid’s reputation in the US. This team communicates National Grid’s story as a leader in clean energy and a company that is committed to safe, reliable, affordable service, community support, and diversity equity, and inclusion. The individual will develop and maintain relationships with media, create and support thought leadership strategy, provide executive support for speaking engagements/media interviews, develop key messaging, and create and execute corporate campaigns. The candidate should be creative, collaborative, and bring experience in media relations, working with executives and thought leadership. This is a position for a mid-level professional communicator, with room for growth.
• Refine and execute thought leadership strategy including seeking out conferences, speaking engagements, podcasts and media interviews for CEO and Chief Strategy and External Affairs Officer.
• Develop strong relationships with national energy, climate, and business media.
• Develop key messaging by liaising with subject matter experts across the business.
• Write and distribute press releases and media pitches.
• Create briefings, speaking notes and speeches for executive team.
• Develop creative storytelling mechanisms and story ideas. Monitor the news cycle and suggest where National Grid fits into the story. Oversee media activity, trends, and markets for the purpose of helping the team develop and implement effective communication pitches and campaigns.
• Develop and maintain suite of communications collateral for US Corporate communications team and internal stakeholders to use in external opportunities, including media interviews, speaking engagements, industry conferences, and stakeholder meetings.
• Participate in New England media on-call rotation (daytime and occasional night-time responsibilities).
• Coordinate the processes necessary to drive the team’s communications priorities.
• Maintain record and measure value of key communications activities. Ensure alignment to function’s objectives.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant energy industry experience in media relations, social media, or marketing preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to simplify complex concepts under tight deadlines.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with strong presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely for both internal and external audiences, including (but not limited to) content for news releases, media advisories, fact sheets, white papers, executive speeches and presentations, employee newsletters, blogs, social media, etc. Writing samples must be provided.
• Creative and innovative project development experience, demonstrating the ability to match personal vision with company priorities and strategic initiatives,
• Demonstrated ability to form and maintain relationships with media and knowledge of social media in the energy space preferred.
• Experience in executive support is a plus.
• Agency and/or corporate experience is a plus.
• Takes personal responsibility for correcting problems promptly and communicates effectively with external and internal customers to monitor delivery and satisfaction.
• Reviews accuracy of own work and checks that all details are accurate to ensure multiple tasks and projects are completed on time.
• Experience in leading and motivating stakeholders
• Acts quickly and decisively in time-sensitive situations, demonstrating resourcefulness.
• Ability to manage projects independently but enjoys collaborating with a team.
• Able to deal with ambiguity and ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and determine priorities in a complex environment
• Extreme flexibility and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
• Takes an interest in finding creative solutions to problems and is eager to learn.
• Celebrates group successes and overcoming team challenges
• Think strategically and act tactically to share and implement a vision
New England: $108K - $127K a year
Downstate NY: $116K - $136K a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.