National Grid IT Business Consultant - US Gas in Waltham, Massachusetts
* National Grid is hiring for a IT Business Consultant* * for our US Gas department in Waltham, MA.*
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
To create and grow valued partnerships with the Business by identifying and articulating Business’ near and long-term needs. Develop sound business cases and investment recommendations that promote innovative IT processes and technology solutions which effectively derive value. Accountable for IT commitments partnering with other IT Delivery organisations to ensure successful delivery of IT programs.
This role will partner with the national Grid Gas Business Unit, working to identify and implement technology solutions to advance the business outcomes, to provide improved service to customers, while meeting internal business objectives.
The Business Consultant will be the single face and single point of accountability for their Business stakeholder for IT investments, tools and capabilities.
This position is accountable for working with Business stakeholders and IT Business Partners to understand business requirements and create robust proposals with sound business cases that meet business objectives. Partnering with Strategy, Architecture and other IT Delivery organizations, the Business Consultant will ensure successful delivery of IT programs to meet IT commitments.
Additionally, the Business Consultant is will provide oversight and management of the IT Investment plan for their business area, including the review of operating costs and IT services and identify potential cost savings ideas and trade-offs for sharing with stakeholders.
• Partner with stakeholders in the development of strategic and tactical business plans. Manage demand and leverage IT technology to meet business goals and objectives
• Responsible for working with assigned business area to develop robust investment plans and manage demand for IT capabilities ensuring alignment of IT and business objectives.
• Analyse complex business and IT environments to identify innovative, appropriate and cost-effective solutions
• Develop high quality project mandates, business cases, investment proposals, post investment appraisal and other deliverables as required
• Make use of a range of consultancy techniques, methods, and processes as appropriate to ensure optimal outcomes
• Building, maintaining and enhancing working relationships with management members of LoB, IT units and direct reports
• Work with business management to understand their costs and find creative ways to reduce costs while increasing IS value.
• Work closely with the program delivery leads to develop and deliver IT solutions to meet the business’s requirements with specific focus on benefits realisation
• Participation on project boards, steering and governance groups as required.
• Act as a role model Valued Business Partner and help champion these behaviours across the organisation
• Flexibility to travel as role requires
• BS/BA degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or related discipline or equivalent education and experience. MBA or other relevant advanced degree an advantage.
• 7+ years of IT and business / Utility work experience.
• Experience in Business Process-oriented design, strong client service, leadership, Agile and project management skills are essential
• Background in Utilities strongly preferred
Knowledge and Capabilities:
• Direct experience of a broad range of consulting approaches, IT processes and best practices to analyze complex business and IT environments and provide innovative, rationale and cost-effective solutions
• Experience with IT strategic, investment and program planning ensuring alignment with business strategy and priorities
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to present complex business and technical matters effectively to senior technical and non-technical audiences. Ability to lead or support investment papers depending on project scope and complexity.
• A solid understanding of current and emerging technology best practices and trends applicable to the business function and its operating characteristics.
• Financial acumen. Ability to manage the creation and delivery of IT budgets. Working knowledge of NPV, ROGI, etc. Ability to define and user metrics (scorecards, trend analysis, etc.).
• A good understanding of the IT operating mode, Corporate IT, Service Delivery as applied in the Business Context and able to promote IT solutions.
• Commercial focus – good understanding of the cost and value drivers of IT and the impact on core business functions.
• Ability to build successful working relationships and partnerships with senior business and IT management; demonstrate influence over peers and more senior managers in a virtual team environment
• Ability to translate process, data, and technology concepts into business terms.
• Risk Management, such as the ability to anticipate IT related risks for the business and mitigate such risks.
• Innovative and critical thinker who is willing to take calculated risks to satisfy needs of the business while working within the strategy and enterprise architecture policies.
• Ability to take initiative and act in a proactive manner; not needing significant direction or management
• Ability to perform well in high pressure environment, balancing competing priorities with strong commitment to delivering results
• Operate as a role model for Valued Business Partner behaviours
• Previous experience is likely to have been gained in a consultancy environment, IT organisation within a large multi-national or in a business role with significant exposure to IT
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
_ National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team._