National Grid Category Specialist, Category Management in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid lies at the heart of a transforming energy system, spanning the US and the UK. Our businesses supply gas and electricity, safely, reliably, and efficiently to millions of customers and communities. But we also drive change through engineering innovation and by incubating new ideas with the power to revolutionize our industry.
As the world changes to embrace cleaner energy and businesses shift to operate in a more responsible way, we are leading that charge. We are focused on finding ways to decarbonize the energy system; from investing in renewable energy generation in the US, to building interconnectors to allow the UK to share clean energy with our neighbors in Europe.
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
National Grid is about to begin an ambitious capital projects and construction program designed to build the infrastructure to enable our renewable electric future. Projects include upgrades to transmission lines, substations and distribution network infrastructure that will support renewable energy and reliability initiatives and other programs.
Within National Grid’s US Procurement team, we are looking to expand our capacity and enhance our capabilities to contract for the materials and services required by this $30B program.
We are currently looking for highly motivated individuals with critical thinking skills who want to join a dynamic and fast paced organization going through a major transformation. If you are someone who’s looking to bring innovation, contribute ideas and play a part in renewing the global procurement organization we want to hear from you!
We are looking for people with skills & experience in the following areas:
• Engineering & construction program management
• Analytics & forecasting
• Communication and change management
• Strategic category management
• Process optimization
• Complex contract drafting and negotiation
We are looking for leaders and persuaders, for people comfortable with ambiguity, for people with the ability to analyze data and extract insights. STEM backgrounds & utility experience are a plus.
We will be hiring across a broad range of experience levels. National Grid has a hybrid working model.
Category Specialists at National Grid work with suppliers, stakeholders, and Procurement colleagues to run bids, negotiate agreements, and create purchase orders, with a focus on driving savings through effective sourcing strategies.
They are key members of our management teams, and deliver innovative thinking supported by detailed analytics, data science, market research, and subject matter expertise, to help our category teams and stakeholders make effective sourcing decisions.
US Procurement at National Grid is structured into five category teams: Electric, Gas, Corporate Indirects, Construction & Transformation. US Procurement is currently staffing for Category Specialist Roles within the Electric, Gas, Construction, and Transformation teams.
The following competencies are core to the Category Specialist role:
• Analytics - Analyze forecast trends and track category savings targets in support of Procurement and category team commitment and goals.
• Sourcing Events - Able to execute operationally, complex sourcing activities; able to implement more than one option: RFX, e-sourcing and reverse auctions
• Stakeholder Coordination - This position executes the sourcing process for assigned business areas and implements policies and programs directed towards providing contracted services and materials
• Bid Analysis - Analyzes responses to complex bid requests, points out commercial differences, and makes succinct recommendations in selecting appropriate suppliers for contract awards
• Savings Tracking - The Category Specialist will be responsible to deliver savings on projects within the assigned timelines while working cross functionally with other areas of the business.
Strategic Sourcing Process
• Strategy – Recommends and communicates sourcing strategy, progress, and results to supervision
• Market Research - Conducts industry analysis and evaluates supplier performance
• Build KPI - Builds appropriate supplier performance measurements (KPIs) into contractual frameworks
• Create Contracts - Solid understanding of contractual terms & conditions and able to craft structured agreements with legal and stakeholder input
• Negotiation Plans - Establish structured negotiation plans with clarity of desired outcomes, leveraging stakeholder input and support where appropriate
• Understanding Counterparty - Has understanding of supplier’s position, desired outcomes, and leverage points
Supplier Relationship Management
• Drive Value - Demonstrates a collaborative approach with supply base and develops integrated plans to drive appropriate value for business and customer requirements
System & Analytics
• ERP – Enterprise Resource Planning Ability to adapt to different ERP systems such as SAP, Power BI, Ariba, Spend Analytics
• Understands how to analyze large data sets and extract information for strategic decision making
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S) required; in supply chain, finance or business management, or STEM preferred. MBA, MS a plus.
• Experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations and vendor management a plus, as is a strong working knowledge of ERP systems.
• Successful completion of professional negotiation coursework preferred
• The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, specifically in communications across a multi-national and matrixed organization. Additionally, the candidate should be proficient in planning, project management, stakeholder engagement, and business analysis.
• An equivalent combination of education and extensive subject matter expertise along with procurement process experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education requirements listed above
Salary commensurate with experience and location.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.