Arizona Public Service Transmission Operations Engineer II / III in United States
APS Transmission Operations Engineering department has an opportunity for an Engineer II/IIIto join ourteam in a dynamic and exciting work environment as we strive to be best-in-class. As an Engineer, you will apply in-depth technical transmission engineering knowledge and expertise to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the grid. You will plan and coordinate engineering studies, provide real time transmission operations support, manage projects, develop and implement ideas for improvement, support development and implementation of systems of the future and represent APS in various industry groups.
This position requires occasional assignment as an on-call engineer with responsibility for developing solutions for issues in real-time.
Engineer II- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering plus two (2) years working experience in Engineering-related positions.
Engineer III- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering plus five (5) years working experience in Engineering-related positions.
- In-depth knowledge of power systems analysis and engineering applications
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, Visio and Outlook
- Masters (MS, MSEE) in Electrical Engineering with an emphasis in power systems.
- Professional engineer (PE) designation.
- Experience in transmission operations, transmission planning, large generator interconnection studies, short circuit studies, knowledge of relay and protection concepts.
- Experience performing transient stability studies.
- Proficiency with GE PSLF or similar power system analysis and automation
- Experience on Siemens Spectrum EMS platform and Transmission Network Applications
- Experience performing studies using MOD-030 flow based methodology
- Active NERC system operator certification
Salary and Level will be based upon experience.
- Perform transmission system reliability studies and provide engineering guidance and support to Transmission Operations for safe and reliable operation of APS system. Work closely with transmission operators developing solutions for operational problems such as voltage, overload, congestion management etc.
- All aspects of work scope in conducting transmission and sub-transmission studies including power flow, transient stability, voltage stability, and post-transient analyses.
- Perform technical study work to provide operating guidance to APS operators, reliability coordinators and APS management. Study work includes seasonal studies, next-day studies, path clearance studies, planned and unplanned outage studies for BES and underlying facilities.
- Collaborate with Information Technology (IT) and T&D Engineering departments to maintain and improve the Network Model and Transmission Network Application (TNA) tools like State Estimator (SE) and Real Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA).
- Participate in development and implementation of new tools for automation, real time analysis and power-flow studies and new business processes as Transmission Operations business functions continue to evolve.
- Work with transmission and distribution planning groups to identify areas in APS T&D system requiring future upgrades for capacity and voltage control.
- Focus on continuous improvement and identify opportunities for improvements in efficiency and accuracy.
- Participate in industry groups and organizations. Research new developments and technology and make recommendations to management on their feasibility for company operations.
- Seek out personal and professional development opportunities for continuous learning.
- Provide technical direction to less experienced engineers.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Job ID: 20200116
Full/Part Time: Full-Time