Westar Energy Real Estate Representative in United States
Title: Real Estate Representative
Job Number: LAR0001
Real Estate / Right-of-Way Representative
$48,000 - $90,000
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Additional hours as required.
Right of way activities include exploration of subject matter, scope definition, creation of project cost, time and manpower estimates, development of strategies for easement and fee acquisition, valuation analysis, payment approval, problem solving and investigation.
Position plans, prioritizes and coordinates multiple activities with competing priorities while working in conjunction with the distribution and/or transmission and substation engineering staff, T&S construction project managers, construction, vegetation management, and maintenance groups. Collaborates with Legal Department regarding easement language, negotiations, eminent domain and settlement agreements. Performs and manages work associated with capital projects, operations, distribution, transmission, maintenance, and facility projects.
Position negotiates and acquires right of way, provides notifications and access negotiations for distribution and transmission projects, settles right of way damages, reviews appraisals, acquires and releases Company property, completes, manages and coordinates ownership research and document preparation.
Coordinates, manages and leads a team of contractors acquiring rights to complete all aspects of projects including title research including existing easement rights, right of way descriptions, appraisals, negotiations, acquisitions, relocations, condemnation, construction liaison and damage settlements.
Interviews, onboards and manages contract personnel to assemble project teams to complete projects. Responsible for contractor billing verification/approval and contract compliance. Manage communications with all concerning agencies, parties and entities, including landowners, clients, government agencies, contractors and other external contacts.
Represent the Company at public meetings, regulatory hearings, presentations and condemnation hearings.
Ensure projects are completed within budgetary estimates, project schedules and in compliance with Westar policies and procedures.
Generates periodic progress reports outlining costs, timing and overall project status related to the scope of the project.
Participates in multi-discipline team meetings, including scheduling and cost outlook. Drives continuous process review and improvement.
This position will receive initial guidance and supervision from other real services staff and will be required to coordinate and perform activities working with operations personnel at multiple locations.
Will serve as a mentor to less experienced Right of Way Professionals.
- Technical knowledge of real property law, real property appraisal processes, real property records.
- Must be able to interpret easement documents, engineering drawings, property plats and property descriptions.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to establish rapport as a Company liaison and be a company representative, thereby displaying high level of professionalism and integrity.
- Ability to manage contract work force.
- General to Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- General to Strong analytical skills and strategic planning skills.
- Employ effective negotiating strategies. One must have the ability to endure mentally challenging and emotionally charged communications with outside parties, including counsel and landowners.
- Initiative to drive areas of improvement and learn systems, processes and procedures.
- Strong computer skills are essential for this role.
The preferred candidate will be knowledgeable in Microsoft software applications.
- Technical knowledge about the various survey systems used to write land legal descriptions, land title research, the legal documents required to complete a right of way project is preferred.
- Training and education in law, real estate, setting right of way values, ethics, project management.
- Requires the ability to execute the plan and supervise multiple projects to completion, within quality, time and budgetary requirements.