FirstEnergy Corp. IT System Administrator Intern-Summer 2021 in United States
IT System Administrator Intern-Summer 2021
Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Information Technology
Employee Type: Student Full Time
Requisition ID: 31464
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [SC00].
About the Opportunity
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and perform professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies.
As an IT System Administrator Intern at FirstEnergy, you will have hands on experience supporting the servers and databases throughout the FirstEnergy enterprise. An IT System Administrator Intern must be self-motivated and have a desire to learn new and proprietary systems and dig deep into unfamiliar territory.
Students interested in the IT System Administrator intership are encouraged to review the IT Application Configuration internship opportunity, as the roles and responsibilites of each opportunity are very similar.
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you're applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you utilized the skills needed for the position in which you are applying. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
An IT System Administrator Intern will participate in the following functions:
• Assist in incident management including problem resolution and tracking problems
• Utilize monitoring tools to proactively identify problems with systems, applications, and networks.
• Create, update, and execute change requests, as directed
• Develop backup/restore procedures
• Design and implement disaster recovery procedures
The hardware and software supported by IT System Administrator interns varies across teams. The following are some of possible roles an intern could have as an IT System Administration:
• Unix/Linux Server Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of UNIX/Linux servers in the FirstEnergy enterprise.
• Microsoft Server & PC Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of Microsoft Server and PC Administration in the FirstEnergy enterprise
• Database Administration: Responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of complex database systems supporting business applications at FirstEnergy
Responsibilities for UNIX/Linux or Microsoft Server Administration
• Build, maintain and troubleshoot FirstEnergy server environments.
• Install, upgrade, configure and maintain server systems hardware and software.
• Perform the administration of the server environment including but not limited to patching, troubleshooting, account management, and security
• Build, maintain and troubleshoot FirstEnergy Server fleet.
Responsibilities for Database Administration
• Provide and maintain reliable Oracle/Microsoft SQL Server databases to support FirstEnergy business applications.
• Implement, monitor, upgrade, and administer FirstEnergy Oracle/Microsoft SQL Server databases including performance tuning
• Manage backup and recovery functions for FirstEnergy Oracle/Microsoft SQL Server databases.
• Perform system administration, performance and storage monitoring
• Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college with a major in Computer Science or technology equivalent degree.
• Scheduled or completed courses for system administration, database administration or server administration or hands-on relevant experience
• Must have a graduation date not earlier than May 2023 (Graduation date MUST be listed on resume)
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. (GPA date MUST be listed on resume)
• Must have the ability to work without sponsorship (now or in the future)
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively and learn quickly
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Proven team player, contributes to team goals, encourages, and supports team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively, with an aptitude to learn quickly
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules
• Ability to work remotely, utilizing virtual technologies
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
• Familiarity with the following technologies: • Basic network concepts (network switching, routing, management and monitoring)
• X86 PC or server hardware maintenance
• High Level UNIX/Linux operating system and system administration fundamentals
• Windows Server and Windows PC operating systems
• Experience with any kind of coding or scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Java, C, PowerShell, SQL etc.)
• Basic knowledge of database concepts, including basic SQL statements and database design fundamentals. Any classroom, personal project, or work experience administering any mainstream database technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, or Oracle is highly encouraged.
• Basic understanding of windows PC operating systems and workstation group policy
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: System Administrator, Intern, Summer Internship, SQL, DBA, Technology, Entry Level