Title: Intern- Power Marketing
Job Number: GEN000Y
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
JOB TITLE: Intern, Bulk Power Marketing
DEPARTMENT: Power Marketing Intern
LOCATION: Topeka General Office, Topeka, KS
PAY RANGE: $14.00 - $19.00 per hour
Intern Position for Full Time Summer 2019
Scheduled Work Hours: Summer: Monday – Friday, Full Time 7am – 4pm
Energy that moves us forward.
Kansas City Power & Light Company (KCP&L) and Westar Energy, Inc., Evergy Companies, provide clean, safe and reliable energy to 1.6 million customers in Kansas and Missouri. We’re embracing alternative energy sources to generate more power with less impact to our environment, and adopting new technologies that let our customers manage their energy use in ways that work for them. Whether it’s new ways to connect with us, electric vehicle charging stations, or the next innovation around the corner, we’re dedicated to empowering a better future.
The Bulk Power Marketing (BPM) group is an innovative and exciting department to work for.
BPM is responsible for the market management of over 70 generating units across the eastern half of the United States generating over $1 billion in revenue per year.
Our group is responsible for the market participation of over 2,500 MW of wind generation. Our team creates significant value for our customers and shareholders by trading in the power and natural gas markets.
Annually, BPM purchases 8 million tons of coal and over 80 billion cubic feet of natural gas and transports these commodities to generating units across the country.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Second, third or fourth year student actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, mathematics, economics or related field, and desire a career in a challenging and rewarding environment.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
The candidate for this role will need to perform with a high degree of competence in the following areas:
• Communication – Share information and ideas up, down, and across; effectively foster relationships through dialogue; keep people informed
• Attention to detail – Detail oriented and thorough in completing work tasks
• Customer service – Add value and build productive relationships with customers; value each customer and treat them with respect and courtesy
• Dependability – Must be trustworthy, reliable, and accountable
• Execution – Achieve objectives and goals through tenacity, endurance, intelligence, and relationships
• Initiative – Actively seek opportunities to share knowledge and create value
• Stress tolerance – Learn to deal calmly and effectively with high stress
• Spreadsheets –Proficient in spreadsheet applications and macros
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required:
Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license.
Normal office working conditions.
Ability to meet strict deadlines and work well under pressure required.