Arizona Public Service GIS Technician III/IV in United States
GIS Technician III/IV
Apply now »
Date: Sep 18, 2023
Location: NOT APPLICABLE, US
Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state’s largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country’s fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
The GIS Technician III/IV independently provides mapping services and related information/data to various departments company-wide and outside entities for a geographical area using specialized software.
Completes all work assigned with an understanding of where and how to adhere to priority and turnaround time frames.
Operates interfacing computer programs, reads/interprets blueprints/engineering drawings, and manipulates/understands digital data to be managed and entered into the database.
Performs complex mapping/technical assignments; gathers and organizes information; and utilizes mapping knowledge to assist, train and check other staff members with support of overall department goals and objectives.
Level III Tech
A four-year year Bachelors degree in Geography, Cartography or GIS from an accredited college or university plus two (2) years job related experience.
OR, two-year Associates degree in Geography, Cartography or GIS plus four (4) years job related experience.
OR, high school diploma/GED plus six (6) years job related experience.
Job related experience shall be in GIS database/mapping (e.g., routine data management, cartography, and some spatial analysis).
Level IV Tech
A four-year Bachelors degree in Geography, Cartography or GIS from an accredited college or university plus four (4) years job related experience.
OR, two-year Associates degree in Geography, Cartography or GIS plus six (6) years job related experience.
OR, high school diploma/GED plus eight (8) years job related experience. Job related experience shall be in GIS database/mapping (e.g., routine data management, cartography, queries and spatial analysis).
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications:
Proficiency with GIS data digitization and attribution.
A high-level understanding of geodatabase design, ArcMap, ArcPro, ArcFM, Microsoft Office software, SharePoint and other related technologies.
Thorough knowledge of Maximo, Customer Care and Billing (CC&B), WebDMD applications.
Thorough understanding of APS data accuracy, completeness and adherence to source documents, Quality Assurance/Quality Control, and network connectivity rules.
Python and Arcade/Hub/Data Reviewer and other ESRI tools experience.
High degree of problem recognition/solution capability.
Demonstrated leadership and effective verbal and written communication skills.
1) Leads or actively participates in the completion of special projects as a subject matter expert or test participant as needed.
2) Maintains and provides oversight to special priority item (e.g., special operations requests) to job status in work management system(s) to ensure all information is up to date and current daily, and coordinates data as needed.
3) Verifies routinely, work completed by other department personnel for accuracy, completeness, overall quality, and adherence to standards. Leads the effort of checking and identifying what will be verified.
4) Maintains GIS database using queries to ensure attributes of all equipment are identified and accurate. Compares GIS data against integrated system data (Maximo, CCB, WebDMD) to ensure data integrity. Performs analysis of data to identify and correct error conditions found in the database and understands how to incorporate into work management system(s) by using Python and Arcade/Hub/Data Reviewer or other ESRI tools.
5) Provides support and GIS Services expertise to customers (CPRs, Contractors Customers) to resolve problems with the GIS data or the way it has displayed in viewing and printing systems that they use.
6) Trains and mentors new department personnel in all aspects of work management to ensure they know how to complete their appropriate role and to ensure adherence to department standards and practices.
7) Actively monitors the system for errors, old sessions, and provides session manager administrative support via reports and system analysis by using knowledge of session manager and reporting tools
8) Coordinates with internal customers to enter facility information into the appropriate database and ensures acceptance of data conversion using subject matter expertise. Ensures accurate and complete positioning/status of new electric facility locations with thought to relation of; existing facilities, active work, and associated integrated systems status and functionality. Communicates incomplete submittal of information to appropriate stakeholders by using knowledge of APS standards and practices. Identifies gaps in the delivery of data and where processes are missing opportunities to communicate appropriately.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position requires employees to work at the (Location), with some flexibility. Flexibility will be determined with the hired employee and leadership.