Duke Energy Environmental Science Technician II - McGuire Island in United States
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
The successful candidate will support and be guided by Scientists in the groundwater sampling functional area of the Groundwater Science Group in Environmental Services. This team’s primary goals are to collect, manage, and interpret data and information for environmental programs and studies.
General responsibilities include:
· Scientific instrument calibration, use, and maintenance according to standard procedures
· Field monitoring and sampling
· Collection, preservation, and transport of water, sediment, or other environmental samples
· Operation of full-sized vehicles, trailers and, on occasion, ATVs and boats.
· Data management involving laptop computer and storage media use
· Quality assurance/quality control activities
· Safety /technical training
· Assist with coordination of field monitoring activities with Duke staff and contractors
· Proficient in Microsoft Excel to maintain data, cost estimating, and budgeting.
· Assist with database input and export (EQuIS).
· A minimum of a two-year technical degree in environmental technology or one of the natural sciences (e.g. geology, biology, chemistry). A high school diploma or GED plus 4 years of directly related experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree
· A minimum of 2 years relevant experience
· Experience with groundwater monitoring well development and groundwater sampling techniques, including low flow sampling
· Experience using water quality equipment and instrumentation (e.g., Hydrolab, YSI, In Situ)
· Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications (i.e., Excel, Word, Outlook)
· Capable of driving full-sized vehicles towing trailers/boats
· Ability to obtain DOT driver certification
· Works safely according to guidance and training provided
· Experience with slug and pump testing
· Experience reviewing and interpreting analytical laboratory reports
· Experience with database management and reporting
· Knowledge of EPA methods for sampling and analysis of surface water, soils, and groundwater
· Boating and trailering skills (inland waters)
· Ability to work independently with high attention to detail
· Follows instructions carefully, is adaptable, and works effectively with others
· Customer focus and dedication to delivering quality results consistently
· The work is largely outdoors, with 50-75% of time spent in the field conducting environmental monitoring and sampling (including overnight travel to or from facilities within the Carolinas Region).
Frequent work in a field environment with exposure to all types of weather
Mildly-strenuous physical activity (carrying equipment and coolers to and from sampling locations; loading of vehicles)
Office environment including computer use
· Flexible schedule; available to work outside normal schedule with periodic overtime, occasional overnight trips, and weekend work.
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)No
Visa Sponsored PositionNo
Posting Expiration Date
Saturday, August 24, 2019
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
We are one of the largest electric power holding companies in the United States, supplying and delivering electricity to approximately 7.4 million U.S. customers. We have approximately 52,700 megawatts of electric generating capacity in the Carolinas, the Midwest and Florida – and natural gas distribution services serving more than 1.5 million customers in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Our commercial and international businesses own and operate diverse power generation assets in North America and Latin America, including a portfolio of renewable energy assets.
Regardless of your skill set or specific interest, we're looking for the best and brightest talent in the industry. Our people make us great - and we're always looking for more. Find your career path today at Duke Energy, where it's more than a career - it's a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Duke Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the laws set forth in the Department of Labor EEO Poster and Supplement.
- Duke Energy Jobs