Arizona Public Service Engineer I - Transmission & Distribution Rotational Engineer (RE) in United States
Transmission & Distribution Rotational Engineer Summary:
Successful candidates will enjoy four 6-month assignments in various areas of the distribution, transmission and substation organizations to assist them in learning the functions of these areas. After the two year rotational period, the candidate will be assigned to a department.
Areas where assignments are possible include:
- Distribution, 69kV or transmission planning
- Overhead and underground line design
- Substation design
- System Protection and Controls engineering
- Distributed Energy Resources
- Inter connecting non-APS generation to APS’s system
- Distribution standards
- Distribution or transmission operations engineering
- Advanced Grid Technologies / Smart Grid
Given the logistics of APS’s operations within Arizona, candidates should be flexible regarding geographic work location within Arizona per the rotation requirements of the program. Further, assignments are located within the Phoenix Metropolitan area, but may require travel throughout the State of Arizona.
Engineer will perform tasks requiring basic application of engineering fundamentals to support the design, development, modification and implementation of a variety of transmission, distribution and substation systems and new products and services. Assists in conducting engineering, technical and economic analyses needed to assess proposed projects. Assists and/or prepares business cases and operating plans. Provide technical support for engineering systems in area of assignment.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering (Power Engineering emphasis preferred) or Civil Engineering
- Ideal graduation dates include: December 2019 and May 2020 or within the previous 24 months
- Knowledge of and ability to apply basic discipline engineering principles, practices and theories and use commonly applied engineering approaches and calculations
- Demonstrated ability in problem analysis/resolution techniques and knowledge of electrical systems design
- Must possess working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices and methods, and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline
- Must possess general business perspective; problem solving skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills
General Engineer 1 Summary: With direction and on-going review, performs tasks requiring basic application of engineering fundamentals to support the design, development, modification, and implementation of a variety of transmission and distribution systems, plant systems, facility systems, etc., and new products and services. Assists in conducting engineering, technical, marketing, and economic analysis needed to assess feasibility of proposed projects. Assists and/or prepares business cases and operating plans. Provides technical support for engineering systems in area of assignment. Projects assigned are of limited scope and budget. Requires close supervision and technical direction and has limited responsibility and choice of action affecting technical decisions.
Minimum Requirements: Requires BS degree in Engineering (applicable engineering discipline specific to area of assignment) or Professional Engineer designation. Knowledge and ability to apply basic discipline engineering principles, practices and theories and use commonly applied engineering approaches and calculations. Demonstrated ability in problem analysis/resolution techniques and knowledge of systems design. Must possess working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices and methods, and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline. Must possess general business perspective; problem solving skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills. Note: PE designation is not an acceptable equivalency for ISE Engineers. Nuclear requirements: Professional Engineers License not an acceptable equivalency for Bachelors degree.
Major Accountabilities: 1) Assists in the analysis and preparation of a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making and strategic direction. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Participates in the preparation of business cases and operational plans to successfully implement proposed projects.
3) Assists in preparing engineering plans, designs, specifications, cost estimates, scheduling, evaluations and studies. Prepares engineering documentation including drawings, sketches, construction notes, purchase orders, specifications, Work Orders, bid evaluations, etc.
4) Ensures engineering design, project control, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations.
5) Manages internal/external customer expectations up front and meets or exceeds all reasonable or agreed upon customer service levels.
6) Effectively interfaces with customer and other departments to ensure project objectives are achieved and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule. Coordinates efforts with other disciplines and effectively interfaces with other departments to ensure planning objectives are achieved.
7) Maintains control of capital and O&M project costs within authorized budgets and assists in their timely implementation or installation.
8) Monitors charges to work authorizations by periodic review of monthly department reports and initiates corrective actions as necessary to control costs.
9) Provides effective technical/field support within areas of specialty to assigned internal staff and customers. Assists with identifying deficiencies and troubleshooting and formulating corrective action plans. Performs periodic testing and analysis of system data to minimize system/equipment failures.
10) Stays abreast of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Job ID: 20200493