Arizona Public Service Energy Analyst, Senior / Accountant / Auditor, Senior in United States
Provide coordination, analysis, and monitoring/auditing of regulatory and enterprise risk compliance for the Power Marketing & Resource Acquisition business unit. Provide tracking and monitoring of changes to regulations and support the design of processes, procedures, and controls. Act in a lead capacity in the evaluation of regulatory and industry restructuring issues, and related policy changes. May serve as technical resource to department analysts and other personnel on interpreting information, contracts, and agreements. Provide coordination, management analysis, and reporting of monthly and quarterly business unit activities, and regulatory reporting filings.
- BS degree in Business, Accounting or Finance and 3 years experience in accounting reconciliation, energy billing, or financial reporting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the applied use of energy accounting processes, related auditing techniques, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Some positions may require experience working with the administration of energy contracts and the development, implementation and maintenance of financial reports and spreadsheets.
- A thorough knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word.
- Some positions may require a general understanding of commodity trading, Risk Management, and options valuation as it relates to energy markets, resource generation and transmission system concepts.
1) May coordinate and integrate financial information flow, analyze, prepare and ensure timely reporting of department financial statements, management reports and studies; analyze trading and system transactions for accuracy and to provide explanations on significant variations; reconcile monthly margin statement with general ledger, off system margin report and power trading statements to ensure transactions have been recorded properly; prepare trading detail from system books, identify hedge transactions and perform hedge effectiveness calculations; review and recommend process and workflow improvements; identify system issues and implementation of accounting guidelines and coordinate with Information Services staff to ensure accurate reporting; develop and produce ad hoc reports and financial studies in response to requests from various departments; maintain accounting acumen by reviewing regulatory rules, pronouncements, contracts and operating agreements; provide financial and operating results to Accounting, Tax and Forecast departments.
2) May confirm daily futures transactions with clearing broker and reconcile futures positions of commodity to counter-party statements and internal reporting system; calculate daily interests on margin calls, monthly index prices and determine maintenance margin requirements as well as physical power, ISDAs, natural gas and paper transactions with brokers and appropriate counter-party; track confirmations on risk management system; research and resolve exceptions with trading/marketing and counter-party personnel; process invoices for commodity purchases, charge appropriate account numbers in order to bill counter-parties for sales; verify accounting records, payables from other utilities and prepare check requests within time periods specified in contracts; follow up with counter-party on past due payments and bring outstanding accounts to management¿s attention; prepare various reports on results of system and trading activities; analyze daily reporting of operating results and maintain analysis of trading activities and strategies; review and verify broker commissions and submit requests for payment; prepare and maintain various margin and activity reports needed for monthly and daily reporting.
3) May verify the completeness and accuracy of energy flow across transmission and within control area by comparing interchange schedules and system load data to determine inadvertent energy amounts; determine when to accept inadvertent energy amounts from other areas; may prepare and distribute statistical information on energy usage, peak demand and metering data for use by other departments; compile and analyze meter reads to verify the accuracy of generated energy and fuel usage; provide and distribute data/reports on energy generation and use, peak demand, and metering data to ACC, FERC, NERC, WSCC and other departments; conduct research and analysis to verify accuracy of system metering (telemetry, digital, analog), identify discrepancies and resolve with appropriate parties; may serve as point of contact for WSCC interchange scheduling and inadvertence and transaction flows; may acquire, validate, estimate and edit data collected through interval data recording (IDR); may prepare and distribute customer meter data involving energy usage, peak demand, and load patterns used by organization; ensure completeness, statistical reliability and quality of IDR data; may apply industry methodologies and techniques to estimate missing IDR data; serve as system administrator for software load data collection system or customized transfer energy and system load database; may interpret complex contracts, protocols, standards, and industry regulations to determine reporting requirements.
4) May ensure the accurate and timely invoicing of direct access and non-commodity customers, by analyzing and verifying meter data; reviewing contracts to determine billing requirements, applying rate schedules, billing guidelines, and contract parameters; verifying deviations and imbalance calculations; ensuring that computerized billing programs are set up to accurately reflect contract provisions; interfacing with customers or transmission operations personnel to resolve inquiries and billing disputes associated with transmission settlement process; performing cash management receiving, collecting payments, and balancing receipts; analyzing vendor invoices for accuracy and authorizing payments for contractual agreements and services.
5) May serve as technical resource to department analysts and other personnel on resolving reconciliation problems, interpreting information, contracts/agreements/generally accepted accounting principles and in providing training to other analysts.
6) Develops solutions/alternatives to difficult problems where not all variables are known and which involve exercising judgment within generally defined practices and procedures in analyzing and interpreting contract provisions, researching and reconciling invoices for settlements, resolving disputes with counter-parties/other control areas, and in payment collections; Serves as technical resource to other staff members in developing analysis and interpretation of contract parameters, agreements, and policies to ensure compliance with policies and government rules and regulations.
7) May coordinate the maintenance and enhancement of database systems used to bill customers, track status of agreements/contracts, sales and revenue forecasts, other specialty data and develop solutions to data integrity and reporting.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Job Title: Energy Analyst, Senior / Accountant / Auditor, Senior
Job ID: 20180275
Full/Part Time: Full-Time