Arizona Public Service Business Analyst, Senior Resource Management in United States
Develops complex solutions to a variety of analysis projects, processes or functions. Performs a wide variety of high level research and studies on topics that may include Business Unit and market cost analysis, forward markets, forecasting for system load, weather and renewable energy production, generation modeling, coal contract administration, gas storage and pipeline management. This position may be staffed in more than one Resource Management departments based on business needs. Duties may include preparing detailed reports such as the Integrated Resource Plan or topic specific white papers and presenting findings to internal stakeholders as well as mid-level management for consideration in making business decisions. Depending on the department, may be responsible for conducting analysis of initiatives that affect the wholesale market, coordinate reviews with key internal stakeholders, receive executive level approval and develop and help execute implementation plans. Assists higher level analysts to develop/enhance tools and models that Resource Management personnel utilize for resource planning, fuel planning and budgeting, forecasting load and variable energy resource production, making unit commitment decisions and pricing transactions.
- BS/BA in business, engineering, economics, financial engineering, mathematics, physics, computational finance, economics, or information technology plus five (5) years related business experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience with demonstrated comparable knowledge and abilities.
- The following requirements may vary depending on the hiring department needs.
- Knowledge of principles of economic unit commitment/dispatch, wholesale market operations and the functional and economic characteristics of Company power resources and the interconnected system is desired.
- Basic knowledge of natural gas markets including contracts, and utilization within a power plant.
- Must have good communication, presentation and writing skills.
- May be responsible for leading teams in evaluations and implementation of solutions.
- Proficient computer skills including a working knowledge of Matlab, C++, Visual Basic or other advanced programming language and advanced experience in the applied use of Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Access, and Word is desired.
- May require travel and submitting personal financial data to the California Air Resources Board for purposes of California Cap & Trade reporting.
1) Conducts complex analysis of wholesale markets, system operations, or other business or operational plans or items utilizing advanced qualitative and quantitative techniques.
2) Develops and presents information and/or presentations to leaders and executives highlighting or recommending resource plan alternatives based on market trends and conditions, wholesale market changes or other analytical findings critical to the business.
3) Assists others in evaluating resource plans, market changes or other complex analysis that requires input from Legal department, Regulatory, Resource Management, Fossil Generation, and/or Middle and Back Office, etc.
4) May perform analysis to optimize the timing of generation outages, determine economic power transactions, and assist traders in developing strategies for serving APS load obligations in the most cost effective manner that also supports system reliability.
5) Perform moderately complex quantitative analysis using production cost models to develop a comprehensive resource plan, support trading and the Fuels Department, implement the hedge plan or produce the corporate Fuel Budget.
6) Researches and analyzes historic and forecasted market data, including pricing and trends to develop forecasts and analytical and mathematical models and analysis to support business unit performance improvement plans and efforts.
7) Develops detailed and complex reports, such as the Integrated Resource Plan or topic specific white papers, to support business unit initiatives and decision making involving capital expenditures, major commercial commitments and changes in operating strategy.
8) Performs economic and financial studies, including cash flow analysis, rates of return computations as required.
9) Provides technical and advanced quantitative methods in support of system operations, trading, middle office, and risk management functions.
10) Actively participate in projects to produce effective project teams. Ensure the development of a cooperative culture that supports team accomplishments and eliminates barriers and roadblocks.
11) Maintain awareness and understanding of key internal business functions, personnel, business improvement opportunities, key industry issues, key stakeholders, regulators, and technology trends. Assists others participating in industry forums involving activities that affect the wholesale market to provide input for changes and to understand impacts to APS.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Job Title: Business Analyst, Senior Resource Management
Job ID: 20180278
Full/Part Time: Full-Time