Liberty Utilities Technician, Service - Gas (Vandalia, IL) in Vandalia, Illinois
Technician, Service - Gas (Vandalia, IL)
Vandalia, IL, US, 62471
Our purpose is sustaining energy and water for life, and it is demonstrated in everything we do as a business, and as an employee team.
At Liberty, we hire passionate people who care about doing the right thing for our customers. We are entrepreneurial, creative, and outcome-focused. Here, your natural talent and achievements will flourish in an inclusive environment of teamwork, trust and continuous learning. We are always pursuing excellence to exceed our ambitions goals, rewarding both the goal outcome and how we achieve it.
An opportunity to join a dynamic team driven to source, attract and engage diverse top talent across North America. Entry level position responsible for basic customer service field activities. May not perform covered tasks on an independent basis until qualified for that covered task under the Company’s operator qualification program.
• Responds to customer requests for service including connections, disconnections, leak and carbon monoxide investigations.
• Informs customer of needed repairs and answers basic questions. Ensures that customer understands and is satisfied with work completed.
• May read meter and records consumption for billing. Changes charts and calculates loss or gain from submeters.
• Investigates, grades and repairs leaks.
• May disconnect service as necessary and perform collection efforts on delinquent accounts.
• Replaces and/or repairs meters and regulators. Sets and removes meters as necessary.
• Installs, programs and operates Automatic Meter Reading equipment as necessary.
• May be required to perform natural gas line location tasks.
• Performs activities to ensure responsiveness to natural gas and other emergencies.
• Completes and maintains accurate records and reports to comply with Company and regulatory requirements.
• Will be required to hold stand-by duty, work shifts, holidays, weekends, emergency call outs, and occasional extensive hours.
• Is subject to reporting outside regular work area.
• Identifies, addresses, and reports safety and encroachment issues to their resolution and completion.
• Is responsible for the safe operation and inspection of assigned Company vehicles and equipment.
• Demonstrates support for and adheres to the Company’s values, strategies, policies and procedures and exhibits the core values of Liberty, Customer Service, Safety and the Company’s Code of Conduct both as an individual contributor, team member and/or leader of others.
• Must become familiar with the contents of the Safety Manual, live by the spirit of its intent and become involved in creating and maintaining a safe working environment. Must complete all required safety training.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent and
• Natural gas construction and/or service field experience is preferred.
• Must obtain and maintain minimum Operator Qualifications (OQs) and classroom training for position and any other required OQs and classroom training or certifications within six months.
• Requires valid driver’s license in accordance with Company standards.
• Requires ability to utilize the Company’s internet/intranet web site and available resources for data entry, reference and/or retrieval tasks.
• Requires the ability to communicate with internal/external customers to obtain and/or provide explanations and/or information.
• Work requires entry to customer premises.
• Works outdoors in all types of weather and may be exposed to extremes of climate and temperatures, high noise levels, rough terrain, and occasional work on ladders, roofs, attics, and under houses as well as confined spaces.
• May require overnight travel.
• Will have residence requirement due to call-out response time.
• Works as an individual contributor and/or as member of a team.
• Requires occasionally performing activities including, but not limited to, bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning and/or lifting.
• Requires the acute sense of sight and hearing (corrected or uncorrected) and strong sense of smell.
• Must be able to lift tools, equipment and materials up to and including 60 pounds.
• As a Safety-Sensitive position, pre and post-employment screenings, including but not limited to drug testing as outlined by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), and motor vehicle record (MVR) background checks are required.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. is a growing renewable energy and utility company with over $15 billion of assets across North America and internationally.
For more than 30 years, Algonquin has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to delivering clean energy and water solutions. Our rapid growth has led both our regulated utility services and renewable energy business groups into different geographies and commodities, but our purpose remains unchanged – Sustaining Energy and Water for Life.
Through our operating business (Liberty), we provide regulated electricity, water, and natural gas utility services to over 1 million customer connections, primarily in North America. And, our growing portfolio of clean, renewable wind, solar, hydro and thermal power generation facilities represent over 3 GW of renewable generation capacity in operation and under construction.
With our robust, diversified, and growing presence in communities across North America and internationally, we are continually demonstrating our “Think Global, Act Local” business model.
What we offer
Company funded Pension program
401k with Company match
Full insurance benefits (health/dental/vision/life)
Collaborative environment with a genuine flexible working policy
Share purchase/match plan
Defined Contribution savings plan
Top Talent Program
Volunteer paid days off
Employee Assistance Program
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role and are not certain you meet the all the qualification requirements, we encourage you to apply to further investigate the opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honor this commitment in their daily responsibilities.