UNS Energy Corporation Designer, Civil/Transmission Engineering in Tucson, Arizona
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professional’s values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Civil/Transmission Designer I, II, III or Senior. The successful candidate will assist in the creation of engineering drawings based on rough sketches (from themselves, engineers and/or other designers), researches information on layouts by utilizing standards and design specific reference material (i.e. design criteria and vendor catalogs) or related specifications and scope documents for projects in the assigned engineering group, translates code regulations and specifications in reference to designs, creates electronic markups and designs in CADD, and able to notice oversights/mistakes and make appropriate change or recommendations. Works independently under the direction of an Engineer and plans own work within allotted budget and schedules.
- Develops designs and evaluates possible alternatives to meet both major and minor substation or transmission project requirements. Assigned projects may be at voltage levels ranging from 4kV up to 500kV. The primary design responsibilities encompass site preparation of the substation or pole location of the transmission line, foundation design, steel support design, major equipment and overall material ordering, interpret and incorporate vendor information into applicable designs and conducts field walkdowns and gathers data from facilities.
- Designs systems based on rough sketches.
- Recognizes what needs to be accomplished and communicates effectively to others.
- Recognizes design errors and alters those mistakes accordingly.
- Translate code regulations or industry standards (IEEE, AISC, ASCE, AWS, etc….) in reference to designs.
- Creates and implements standards for projects.
- Recognizes the technical needs of a drawing or project and act on those needs.
- Quality checks the final drawing package.
- Works closely with Substation or Communications Engineers to determine physical locations of equipment and proper sizing of structures and site design and grading.
- Develops and monitors work progress on project schedules to assure proper coordination of events during the design phase of a project.
- Reports to the section Engineering Supervisor and performs other assignments as requested.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.)
Level I Designer
- Will research design layouts and alternatives for small modification or revision projects.
- Will assist more experienced engineers or designers in large projects or standards creation.
- Will assist in the review and revision of material and design standards.
- Will create electronic drawing markups of rough sketches or initial design drawings.
- Become familiar with TEP specific standards and associated industry standards or codes.
- Helps mentor Engineering Technicians to build a stronger, more knowledgeable team.
- High school diploma and 1-3 years AutoCADD drafting course work or equivalent technical experience.
- Less than three (3) years professional experience.
- Familiar with conventional drafting symbols, computer graphics and automated drawing methods.
- Works independently under the direction of an Engineer and plans own work within allotted budget and schedules.
- Provides technical support for CADD design systems and software.
- Oversees the drafting of drawing process providing timely feedback to questions and review of final product to meet project schedules.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
*Designer II *
- Will research design layouts and alternatives for small to medium sized projects and will assist more experienced engineers or designers in large projects. May require close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
- Will assist engineers in the creation of standards and process or procedures as needed or requested.
- Will create CAD symbols for standard usage and drawing creation.
- Will assist engineers with material, framing and installation research.
- May have several projects assigned at the same time.
- Minimum qualification of Designer I with three (3) or more years’ experience or Associates degree (Drafting and Design Technology) or trade degree (i.e. AA in applied services or applied technology)
- Ability to apply basic electrical or mechanical formulas, principles and practices.
- Ability to estimate time required for assigned project completion.
- Skilled use of Civil 3D software a plus.
- Creation of bill of material for project procurement requirements.
- Manufacture drawing review.
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into applicable designs.
- Conducts field walkdowns and gathers data from facilities.
- Underground facility design.
- Physical equipment layouts and elevation drawings.
- Translate standards, specifications, and code regulations into design.
- Able to notice oversights/mistakes and make appropriate change or recommendations.
- Shall have strong analytical capabilities and requires close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
*Designer III *
- Requires moderate supervision and technical assistance in project assignments.
- Independently prepares and reviews design deliverables.
- Provides technical guidance in applicable design processes.
- Will have responsibility for projects small to large.
- May have several projects assigned at the same time.
- May assist other engineers or designers in large projects.
- Requires technical guidance and supervision on non-standard assignments.
- Delegates and monitors work while mentoring Engineering Technicians and entry level designers.
- Works well with personnel from Construction, Field Technicians, Procurement, Project Management, and Engineers from various disciplines.
- Comfortable with presenting departmental training material in front of others.
- Minimum qualifications of Designer II with eight (8) years or more experience in a Designer role with at least two years at an electric utility company or illustrate equal competency.
- Is a self-starter and has developed good time management skills, completing all assignments on time.
- Provides direction to other design and drafting personnel in the use of tools and preparation of design deliverables.
- Familiarity with material for voltages ranging from Distribution to 500kV.
- Obtains required input and independently prepares calculations.
- Develops procedure(s) for various functions within department’s range of responsibilities with oversight.
- Familiar and demonstrated use of NESC and AISC, ASCE, AWS, and IBC standards associated with job function.
- Educates other designers and Engineering Technicians on code regulations, specifications, standards, etc.
- Independently prepares and reviews various design deliverables
- Interpret Planning memo requirements for the development of project scope of work with technical, economic and sequencing of project all considered for an optimized design.
- Requires technical guidance and supervision on non-standard assignments projects.
*Designer Senior *
- Will have primary responsibility for projects of any size or complexity.
- Follows approved standards in design with minor modifications.
- Will assist in training of less experienced designers or Engineering technicians.
- A top-level individual contributor who may be assigned any project that is within the section’s responsibilities.
- Provides leadership to the section from a technical standpoint.
- Provides support for section Supervisor in allocating work assignments to other Designers and assist in manpower planning.
- Will be the primary source of training for the section and will share information openly.
- Will act as a technical mentor to new or less experienced designers or Engineering Technicians.
- Minimum qualifications of Designer III with fifteen (15) years or more experience at an electric utility company in a designer role or illustrate equal competency.
- Is able to work independently.
- Requires minimal supervision in project assignments and requires technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems.
- Time management, technical knowledge, and economic consideration are exhibited in all assignments.
- Makes decisions independently and does not require guidance or supervision on any technical activity.
- Only requires supervision on overall objectives, policy matters, critical issues and new concepts.
Company: Tucson Electric Power
Location: Tucson, AZ
Job Category: Engineering
Position Type: Unclassified