Arizona Public Service Engineer II (Nuclear Fuel Management) in TONOPAH, Arizona
Engineer II (Nuclear Fuel Management)
Apply now »
Date: Mar 17, 2023
Location: TONOPAH, AZ, US, 85354
Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state’s largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country’s fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
Palo Verde Generating Station performs reload core design and non-LOCA safety analysis internally. Palo Verde is seeking additional staff to perform these analyses. We are looking for individuals with experience in any of the following areas: core design, core thermal-hydraulics, transient analyses, COLSS/CPC analyses, or reactor engineering.. These positions are a flexible location position, where the individuals may choose to work primarily from the office, or primarily from home (provided required fitness for duty and emergency response times are met). The Engineer applies technical knowledge in one or more areas of engineering expertise. Understands engineering technology. The Engineer II performs engineering design, modifications, economic and analytical support for various engineering programs and projects. Performs engineering tasks requiring skills and experience gained through application of engineering methods and analysis. Work is performed with general guidance over specific engineering design, modifications, and technical assistance. Provides limited technical guidance and leadership to others as needed. May be subject to occasional shift work.
A four year Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline or related applied science discipline (see approved list) from an ABET accredited institution plus two (2) years working experience in Engineering-related positions. Approved Engineer degrees: Materials Science/Metallurgy, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Nuclear, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics, Computer Science, Environmental, Chemical, Architectural, Structural, or other degrees if approved by Engineering department management. (A four-year bachelor of Engineering Technology degree is not considered an automatic equivalent for a B.S. degree in Engineering. A review of the degree program curriculum must be completed by Engineering department management.)
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications: Familiarity with reload analysis codes such as CASMO, SIMULATE, VIPRE, CENTS, or RETRAN. Problem analysis/resolution techniques. Knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices, and methods in the area of applicable engineering discipline.
Nuclear requirement: In lieu of two (2) years Engineering experience, completion of Palo Verde Legacy Program. Any PVNGS employee may be called upon to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) and will be expected to fulfill their obligation as an ERO member, including being able to meet applicable ERO and fitness for duty response time requirements from your home. Any PVNGS employee may be called upon to support a refueling or short-notice outage. This includes line roles and responsibilities as necessary to execute outage activities. These are conditions of employment at PVNGS.
1) Analyzes and prepares a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Identifies, communicates and advocates resolution of technical concerns while adhering to sound engineering principles during evaluation / resolution of the conditions. Challenges conditions and decisions when needed to ensure plant systems, engineering designs, project controls and oversight of work has high technical quality, is cost effective, in compliance with established standards, codes and regulations, maintains future reliability, satisfies customer requirements, budget and schedules to meet or exceed all reasonable or agreed upon customer service levels.
3) Interfaces with customers or cross organizational team members to assess their needs, determine the scope of the project, obtain necessary data to make key decisions which may require consultation with external or internal customers or employees.
4) May provide oversight of engineering technical programs by managing the program requirements, working with cross organizational partners, reviewing and internalizing operating experience and coordinating corrective actions to ensure engineering program elements continue to remain healthy.
5) Provides support for projects and modifications that will increase operating efficiency. May review design and documentation of projects to ensure compliance with design specifications, schedules and any regulatory requirements.
6) May assume responsibility for small- to medium-scale projects which include planning, designing, scheduling and coordinating all facets of the project.
7) Checks and reviews standard analysis, evaluations, and investigations of others.
8) May provide technical guidance and leadership to less experienced engineers.
9) Remains cognizant of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
10) Develops core loading pattern designs, generates nuclear cross sections, creates neutronics models, and performs engineering analyses to evaluate the physics characteristics of reload cores using analysis software such as SIMULATE, CASMO, XIMAGE, etc. (dependent on specialty).
11) Develops cycle specific core thermal-hydraulic analyses, determines inlet core flow distribution, determines the cycle specific TH limits using analysis software such as VIPRE and the Combustion Engineering TH codes (dependent on specialty).
12) Develops cycle specific COLSS/CPC digital setpoint analyses, using the Combustion Engineering COLSS and CPC analytical software (dependent on specialty).
LAST REVISION DATE: 10/21/2019
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.