Arizona Public Service Engineer I - Weld (Legacy Program) in TONOPAH, Arizona
Engineer I - Weld (Legacy Program)
Apply now »
Date: Sep 2, 2023
Location: TONOPAH, AZ, US, 85354
Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state’s largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country’s fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
An Engineer in the Legacy Weld Engineering Program at Palo Verde will complete a comprehensive orientation training program of approximately 12 months in duration. The Legacy Program is Palo Verde's pipeline hiring program for new engineers. Through this program, engineers will build their knowledge and skills through a combination of on-the-job training, rotations through Engineering and other site departments, technical classroom training, and briefings by subject matter experts on various topics. Legacy Program classes are hired as a cohort that will progress through the orientation training together. Upon the completion of this program, each engineer will be assigned to a work group within the Palo Verde organization.
Seeking a Engineer, with a welding degree to support a existing nuclear power plant with current inspections, repairs and component replacements. The desired candidate will be hands on and field oriented, with an ability to develop welding procedures with varied welding techniques and materials to support the station’s needs. The candidate will have an understanding of various welding techniques and materials joining. The candidate will be expected to work with field welders to examine, evaluate and provide direction to ensure the station conducts work with resultant high-quality welds through the creation of welding procedures, procedure qualification records and weld procedure specifications. The individual will be developed to administer and evaluate welding tests on a regular basis. The selected candidate will support the Design and Project engineering departments to develop welds and techniques for the efficient and reliable installation of plant modifications that would utilize dissimilar metal welding techniques and exotic welding materials, (Inconel 600/690, Chromium, Monel, Stainless Steel and Duplex Stainless steels). The candidate will become trained in ASME Section XI and will support operations related questions with varied equipment conditions as a Program Owner for a specific unit. He/she will also be required to become trained and qualified in the following non-destructive examination techniques:
Magnetic Particle Inspection, (MT)
Dye Penetrant Inspection, (PT)
Ultrasonic Testing, (UT)
Visual Testing, (VT)
Radiography Testing, (RT)
A four year Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline or related applied science discipline (see approved list) from an ABET accredited institution. Approved Engineer degrees: Materials Science/Metallurgy, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Nuclear, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics, Computer Science, Environmental, Chemical, Architectural, Structural.
(A four-year bachelor of Engineering Technology degree is not considered an automatic equivalent for a B.S. degree in Engineering. A review of the degree program curriculum must be completed by Engineering department management.)
- There are multiple job postings for the Legacy Engineer position on the Careers website. If applying, please apply for the position title that aligns with your discipline.
The primary recruiting method for Palo Verde is through attendance of college career fairs.
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications
BS or above in Materials Science and Engineering, Welding Engineering, or Metallurgical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution
Knowledge and ability to apply basic discipline engineering principles, practices, and theories
Use commonly applied engineering approaches and calculations
Problem analysis/resolution techniques
1) Assists in the analysis and preparation of a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Assists in preparing engineering plans, designs, specifications, cost estimates, scheduling, evaluations and studies. Prepares engineering documentation including drawings, sketches, construction notes, purchase orders, specifications, work orders, bid evaluations, etc. Ensures engineering analyses, design, project control, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations.
3) Interfaces with customer and other departments to ensure project objectives are understood and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule.
4) Provides technical and field support within areas of specialty to assigned internal staff and customers. Assists with identifying deficiencies, potential schedule or quality problems and troubleshoots, formulates and initiates corrective action plans. Performs periodic testing and analysis of system data to minimize system/equipment failures. Complies with design, regulatory, operating and maintenance requirements.
5) Participates in the preparation of business cases and operational plans to successfully implement proposed projects.
6) Contacts customers and various levels of management to obtain or present technical data. Presents the results of designs, studies, projects (in terms of new techniques) or approaches to subordinates, colleagues, management and customers.
7) Remains cognizant of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
Any PVGS employee may be called upon to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) and will be expected to fulfill their obligation as an ERO member. Any PVGS employee may be called upon to support a refueling or short-notice outage. This includes line roles and responsibilities as necessary to execute outage activities. These are a condition of employment at PVGS. Any PVGS employee may be called upon to support a refueling or short-notice outage. This includes line roles and responsibilities as necessary to execute outage activities.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.