Arizona Public Service Engineer I - Nuclear Engineer (Legacy Program) in Tonopah, Arizona
An Engineer in the Legacy Engineering Programat**Palo Verde, with direction and on-going review, performs tasks requiring basic application of engineering fundamentals to support the design, development, modification, and implementation of a variety of transmission and distribution systems, plant systems, facility systems, etc., and new products and services. Assists in conducting engineering, technical, marketing, and economic analysis needed to assess feasibility of proposed projects. Assists and/or prepares business cases and operating plans. Provides technical support for engineering systems in area of assignment. Projects assigned are of limited scope and budget. Requires close supervision and technical direction and has limited responsibility and choice of action affecting technical decisions.
Major Accountabilities 1) Assists in the analysis and preparation of a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making and strategic direction. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Participates in the preparation of business cases and operational plans to successfully implement proposed projects.
3) Assists in preparing engineering plans, designs, specifications, cost estimates, scheduling, evaluations and studies. Prepares engineering documentation including drawings, sketches, construction notes, purchase orders, specifications, Work Orders, bid evaluations, etc.
4) Ensures engineering design, project control, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations.
5) Manages internal/external customer expectations up front and meets or exceeds all reasonable or agreed upon customer service levels.
6) Effectively interfaces with customer and other departments to ensure project objectives are achieved and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule. Coordinates efforts with other disciplines and effectively interfaces with other departments to ensure planning objectives are achieved.
7) Maintains control of capital and O&M project costs within authorized budgets and assists in their timely implementation or installation.
8) Monitors charges to work authorizations by periodic review of monthly department reports and initiates corrective actions as necessary to control costs.
9) Provides effective technical/field support within areas of specialty to assigned internal staff and customers. Assists with identifying deficiencies and troubleshooting and formulating corrective action plans. Performs periodic testing and analysis of system data to minimize system/equipment failures.
10) Stays abreast of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
Minimum Requirements Requires BS degree in the following Engineering Discipline:
Chemical Engineer Electrical Engineer Mechanical Engineer Nuclear Engineer Civil Engineer
Knowledge and ability to apply basic discipline engineering principles, practices and theories and use commonly applied engineering approaches and calculations. Demonstrated ability in problem analysis/resolution techniques and knowledge of systems design. Must possess working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices and methods, and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline. Must possess general business perspective; problem solving skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills. Preferred: Minimum GPA of 3.2.
Nuclear requirement: Any PVGS employee may be called upon to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) and will be expected to fulfill their obligation as an ERO member. This is a condition of employment at PVGS. Roles and Responsibilities defined in Policy 1503 and implementing policy guide are applicable to all PVGS employees.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
This position is targeted to applicants who attend a career fair Palo Verde is participating in. We will be represented at the following schools: Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, New Mexico State University, University of New Mexico, Missouri University of Science and Technology, University of Illinois-Champaign, University of Wisconsin- Madison and Oregon State University.
- There are multiple job postings for the Legacy Engineer position on the aps.com/careers website. If applying, please apply for the position title that aligns with your discipline.
Job ID: 20200547
Location: Tonopah, AZ
Full/Part Time: Full-Time