City of Tacoma WA Utility Services Representative I in Tacoma, Washington
Utility Services Representative I's (USRI) in the Water Quality section of Tacoma Water support various regulatory compliance programs. Tacoma Water goes to great lengths to ensure delivery of safe and reliable drinking water to our customer's homes.
This position plays a critical role in protecting our water system by ensuring potential contaminants are isolated through proper backflow prevention measures.
As the USRI in Water Quality, you will be the primary point of contact for residential and commercial customers with regards to the cross-connection control program. You will provide exceptional customer service to internal and external customers; provide technical administrative support to the Regulatory Compliance Group; communicate with customers using a variety of media; monitor, organize and assist with activities to ensure compliance with a variety of regulatory programs. Coordinate all activities of the cross-connection control program, working with building officials, inspectors, water purveyors, utility customers and contractors. This work involves database maintenance, field investigations, researching property information, administering water service holds and enforcement activities.
The ideal candidate can manage multiple projects simultaneously, interact with the public and explain, in layman terms, what the regulations are requiring them to do and why - in a friendly, tactful way.
Water Quality is supplementing the current eligible list for Utility Services Rep I, candidates on the current list do not need to reapply.
Tacoma Water has a proud tradition of operating and maintaining one of the country's oldest municipally owned water systems. We own and operate over $1 billion of assets that provide high-quality water to more than 320,000 direct service customers throughout Pierce and King counties. Our mission is to provide clean, reliable water now and in the future.
City of Tacoma Recruitment One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- 1+ year of work experience related to water or utility services;
- Graduation from high school or equivalent;
- Exceptional customer service skills are preferred;
- Project management/organizational skills preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS. Requires a driver's license at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter or equivalent mobility. Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrate proper telephone techniques and etiquette
- Perform proper electronic and manual record-keeping techniques
- Learn, interpret and apply applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures of assigned area quickly and accurately
- Operate a personal computer with applicable application software and peripheral devices
- Meet schedules and timelines using organizational skills in a multi-task work environment while working independently with little direction; analyze situations quickly and adopt an effective course of action
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Perform work in a professional manner under stressful situations with many on the job interruptions, and apply and use proper interpersonal skills of tact, patience, and courtesy
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other employees, the general public and representatives of other agencies
- Work from diagrams, drawings, sketches and utility service maps and provide updates Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental questionnaire responses scored. Applicants whose questionnaire responses result in a passing score may be invited to take an online assessment. Applicants must pass the assessment in order to be placed on the eligible list for hiring consideration.
Individuals given a conditional offer of employment will be required to pass a background check. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 17. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire.
Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $26.97 - $32.77 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Job Number: 0613-18
Closing: 6/22/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764