City of Tacoma WA Transmission & Distribution Control Systems Engineer in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Power's Transmission and Distribution Section is seeking a Power Engineer I or II within its Substation Control Systems group in support of Tacoma Power's mission to provide safe and reliable electric service.
Tacoma Power has 840 MW of clean, renewable, hydraulic generation resources, 350 miles of transmission lines, and 1,980 miles of distribution lines. Tacoma Power is registered as a Balancing Authority, Generation Owner & Operator, Transmission Owner & Operator, Transmission Planner, Transmission Service Provider, Planning Coordinator and Distribution Provider.
- Design and commission Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) projects.Work is performed on 15 kV, 115 kV, and 230 kV systems.
- Select, program, and apply Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) and Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs).
- In partnership with Engineering Technicians, prepare control schematic and wiring drawings for issuance to construction crews.
- Provide responsive construction support to T&D; crews during capital project installations
- Procure major and minor substation control system assets or components, including preparation of specifications, evaluation of products and suppliers, and quality assurance processes
- Lead collaborative troubleshooting of substation control systems or components, working with craft personnel to identify and diagnose root causes, evaluate approaches and/or solutions, and see tasks through to resolution
- Participate as a subject matter expert on relevant NERC standards
- Prepare accurate technical reports
- Understand and apply electrical technical and safety codes and regulations.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
Four year degree in Electrical Engineering Desirable Qualifications
- 3 or more years in an electric utility, industrial, or engineering consulting environment.
- Demonstrated engineering competence and judgment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Team and Time Management Skills
Working knowledge of applicable codes and laws Knowledge & Skills
Demonstrated knowledge and fundamental understanding of control systems including generators, substations, and transmission lines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
The City of Tacoma Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant developments such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video! Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that highlights job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check. A valid driver's license with maintenance thereafter is a condition of employment.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400. If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591-5400 before the closing date of the job announcement.
Salary: $73,444.80 - $105,476.80 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 2132-19
Closing: 1/23/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764