City of Tacoma WA Source Control Representative in Tacoma, Washington
Are you a high-performing, critical thinker, who has proven work experience with the investigation and analysis of reported pollution and other environmental issues? If so, our Source Control Representative recruitment may just be the job you are looking for! The City of Tacoma is recruiting for the position of Source Control Representative in our Environmental Services Department. We are seeking experienced candidates with exceptional customer service skills and who have a proven success record in investigation, documentation, knowledge of all applicable Federal, State and Local laws and guidelines regarding environmental compliance.
In the Environmental Services Department;we believe everything we do supports healthy neighborhoods and a thriving Puget Sound, leaving a better Tacoma for all.
The focus on healthy neighborhoods and a thriving Puget Sound defines the core values of the Environmental Services Department and our clear focus on: Customers, Employees and Operations with the three following statements:
- *Customers *- Partner with the community on customer-valued services to meet the diverse needs of Tacoma neighborhoods
- *Employees *- Foster safe culture built on trust, conversation and equity
- *Operations *- Operate using best practices and innovation to meet changing environmental and community needs.
HEALTHY NEIGHBORHOODS + THRIVING PUGET SOUND = A BETTER *TACOMA*
- Identify and inspect local industries subject to Federal, State and local surface water and wastewater discharge regulations; evaluate discharge sampling analysis, issue wastewater discharge permits and monitor industries to assure compliance with applicable wastewater discharge regulations; NPDES regulations and storm water Best Management Practices; initiate enforcement action as required.
- Assure commercial, industrial, and residential users are charged the appropriate Wastewater Management user charge for treatment of effluent discharge; review sampling and testing reports and establish appropriate charges; update computer billing system records to assure proper billing; notify users of unusual wastewater characteristics and assist in determining corrective action as necessary.
- Investigate the source or sources of toxic or non-compatible discharges to the surface water and wastewater sewer systems; contact the responsible industry(s) and provide technical assistance to determine alternative waste disposal practices; monitor and record types of waste disposed of at the central wastewater treatment plant.
- Provide information to customers regarding wastewater and surface water management utility charges; notify users of rate updates as necessary.
- Respond to, investigate, document, and provide technical assistance to other governmental agencies with the containment and clean-up activities following pollution spills.
- Review commercial plans, engineering reports, proposed plans and specifications for wastewater treatment and oil removal systems; issue approvals as appropriate.
- Investigate damage claims resulting from sewer back-ups, storms and surface water flooding and other sewer-related problems.
- Participate in special projects as required.
- Contact or communicate with various departments, governmental agencies and outside organizations and agencies and general public to coordinate activities and to provide and receive information or services as required.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of departmental files, records and reports to assure efficient operation.
- Operate a variety of equipment, tools and machinery in the routine performance of duties.
- Work safely and cooperatively with coworkers and the public.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Office and outdoors environment; driving to various sites.
- May require working in a confined space.
- An employee in this position may be subject to hazardous conditions.
- Must lift and replace manhole covers weighing approximately 100 pounds with a tool.
- Incumbents may be on rotating call rosters, weekend pager duty and must be available to respond to after-hours service calls such as spills, flooding and sanitary sewer overflows.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play. Qualifications
An equivalent combination to:
Graduation from high school supplemented by college-level course work in business, science or engineering
Two years of experience in an environmental, scientific or ecological field, investigating and resolving customer concerns.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington Driver's License at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter.
Must obtain a 40-hour HAZWOPER certificate prior to completion of probation with maintenance thereafter. Knowledge & Skills
Principles and terminology regarding wastewater treatment and transmission
- Principles and terminology regarding surface water management
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
- Record-keeping techniques
- Operation of a computer terminal
- Oral and written communications skills
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Federal, State and local codes, regulations, laws, procedures and ordinances as applied to wastewater treatment and transmission and surface water management
- Technical aspects of field of specialty
- Basic research methods
- City organization, operations, policies and objectives
- Basic principles of chemistry
- Industrial and commercial inspection policies and procedures
- Microsoft office software
- Safety rules and regulations
- Perform technical work related to the investigation, coordination and resolution of various programs regarding wastewater management
- Operate a variety of equipment, tools and machinery
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Read, interpret, apply and explain applicable codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Issue discharge permits according to established guidelines
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Resolve complex customer service problems and complaints
- Work independently
- Plan and organize work Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Our City: With a population over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, our schools are exceptional and our housing is affordable.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny: http://www.cityoftacoma.org/newhires http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ http://www.traveltacoma.com/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
To be considered for this rewarding career opportunity: Please apply online through the City of Tacoma's website and attach a detailed resume and cover letter *describing your experience, training, motivations, and expertise as it relates to the responsibilities of this position. *Individuals must meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application, to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference points, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
Examination Process: This is a competitive selection process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their job application and responses to Supplemental Questions # 10-13 reviewed and scored by a committee of subject matter experts, as the Experience and Training Test. *It is the responsibility of the applicants to adequately describe all pertinent experience and training. Please make sure you read the questions and provide complete informative answers, including your roles in the position and key activities. *Candidates who pass the test will be placed on an Eligible List for potential interview and hiring consideration.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the *City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment background check and will include a pre-employment medical examination, physical ability test and drug and alcohol screening. *Candidates will be required to possess a valid Washington State driver's license at the time of appointment with maintenance thereafter.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local Union 17 PTE. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement. For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, please call Human Resources at (253) 591.5400 before 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement.
Salary: $33.20 - $40.36 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Environmental Services
Job Number: 0625-20
Division: ES Sewer Operations
Closing: 10/14/2020 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764