City of Tacoma WA Sewer Worker in Tacoma, Washington
--THE CITY OF TACOMA IS RECRUITING TO FILL VACANT SEWER WORKER POSITIONS--
The City of Tacoma is recruiting for the position of Sewer Worker. The Sewer Worker classification is the entry-level class of the Sewer Worker series. Sewer Workers perform technical and physical work related to the construction, maintenance and repair of stormwater and sanitary sewer mains to sustain a continuing program of sewer system maintenance.
Sewer Workers maintain Tacoma's municipal sanitary and surface water systems by:
- Installing, cleaning, and repairing sewer lines and storm drains of grease, roots, dirt and other debris with rodding and water pressure equipment
- Assisting in the installation, construction, and repair of pipes and pipe connections, reinforce and shore trenches, and work in confined spaces and within traffic zones.
- Televising sewers and laterals; locating breaks in utility lines; inspects sewer lines for defects.
- Performing traffic control functions such as placing barricades, directing/flagging, re-routing traffic.
- Operates a variety of pneumatic, hydraulic, gas and hand powered tools, equipment and machinery related to duties,
- Cleans & maintains sewer lines, traps, lift stations, and operates related equipment including sewer/vacuum truck.
- Assists with concrete street repair including: setting grades and forms, smoothing out, leveling and finishing.
- Using cold patch to fill potholes and make other road repairs.
- Utilizing proper safety measures and personal protective equipment (PPE) while performing job duties.
- Respond to utility emergencies while on-duty and during off-duty hours, including
- Frequent interactions with other City employees and the public.
*Our Ideal Candidate/s are people with the following skills: *
- Enthusiastic, cheerful and helpful team members.
- Great customer service skills
- Excellent attendance
- Strong work ethic
This recruitment is being conducted to create a civil service eligibility list that will be used to fill Sewer Worker vacancies as they occur for one year. There are both permananent and Project positions available in this classification.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Outdoor environment; subject to noise, fumes, adverse weather conditions and driving from site to site; subject to emergency calls during off-duty hours.
- Position requires lifting heavy objects and climbing.
- An employee in this position is exposed to raw sewage, traffic and underground construction hazards.
Work Schedule These positions are overtime eligible and employees must be available and willing to work either shift (day or swing). Swing shifts receive premium pay (3%). Positions are generally staffed Monday through Friday. Shift placement is determined by union seniority and subject to semi-annual change. These positions are subject to 24-hour call-out response to emergencies. *Due to seniority, some new employees will begin on the swing shift or participate in the swing shift rotation.* Qualifications
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above (also in the knowledge and skills section).
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Valid Washington State driver's license is required at time of appointment, with maintenance thereafter.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- 1 year paid work experience performing general construction or repair work, which has included excavation, trenching, shoring activities or heavy physical labor.
- Washington State Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Knowledge & Skills
- Methods, practices, procedures, and techniques of storm and sanitary sewer installation, repair, maintenance, and cleaning.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy. Health and safety regulations.
Proper methods of storing equipment, materials, and supplies. SKILLS:
Learn storm and sanitary sewer main and lateral distribution and runoff lines.
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods.
- Operate various tools and related equipment.
- Operate trucks to perform sewer-related activities.
- Lift objects weighing up to 90 pounds.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others and the general public.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
WHY WORK FOR THE CITY?** The City of Tacoma offers a generous program of employee benefits:
- Outstanding working conditions and an exceptional quality-of-life environment.
- Medical coverage for eligible employees, spouses and dependents, including children up to age 26.
- Vision care with VSP for employees and eligible dependents enrolled in the Regence PPO medical plan with vision benefits.
- Dental coverage for eligible employees and their elected dependents, including dependent children up to the age of 26.
- Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code.
- Personal time off.
- Paid holidays.
- A great pension plan.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ and http://www.traveltacoma.com/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
*City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: * One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
To be considered for this career opportunity: Please apply online through the City of Tacoma's website. Individuals must meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application, to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference points, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
Examination Process: This is a competitive selection process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to the Supplemental Questions # 10-14 *reviewed and scored by a committee of subject matter experts, as the *Experience and Training Test. It is the responsibility of the applicants to adequately describe all pertinent experience and training. Please make sure you read the questions and provide complete informative answers, including your roles in the position and key activities.
Candidates who pass the test will be placed on an Eligible List for potential interview and hiring consideration.
Any vacancy that comes up within a one year period of time will draw from candidates on the Eligible List for potential interview selection.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the *City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to passing a pre-employment background check and references check, a pre-employment medical exam, drug and alcohol screen and physical ability test. *
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Teamsters Local Union #313. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, please call Human Resources at (253) *591.5400 before 4:00 pm *of the closing date of the job announcement.
Salary: $25.92 - $31.51 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Environmental Services
Job Number: 5010-20
Division: ES Sewer Maintenance
Closing: 12/7/2020 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764