City of Tacoma WA Sewer Equipment Operator in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma's Environmental Services Department invites you to apply to join our team as a Sewer Equipment Operator. We believe everything we do supports healthy neighborhoods and a thriving Puget Sound, leaving a better Tacoma for all._**
The Sewer Equipment Operator is a specialized position that requires knowledge and work experience in a variety of sewer maintenance equipment and vehicles that are used to clean, vacuum, and flush sewer lines and catch basins.
If the below list of personal traits sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we are looking for to join our team as a Sewer Equipment Operator.
- Excellent attendance
- Enjoy Swing Shift work schedule
- Enjoy working both indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather conditions
- Willingness to learn
- Self motivated
- Great customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Enjoy physically demanding and diverse job tasks
This recruitment is being conducted to create a civil service eligibility list that will be used to fill Sewer Equipment Operator vacancies as they occur for a period of one year.
The City of Tacoma posts separate Equipment Operator job announcements for each Department. Recruitment for all of these Equipment Operator jobs is conducted separately; we welcome and encourage you to apply for any and all positions you meet the minimum qualifications of, for hiring consideration in each Department.
- Load and prepare trucks and equipment according to crew assignment. Transport workers and a variety of equipment, tools and materials to and from assigned job sites.
- Clean, service and maintain assigned trucks and equipment in safe working condition.
- Communicate with the public regarding sewer-related complaints; respond to and resolve emergencies as assigned.
- Assist sewer crew workers as needed in the performance of various sewer maintenance and repair duties.
- Set up work area and equipment as needed; set up traffic warning devices according to recognized safety procedures.
- Assess sewer systems using a variety of electronic technologies and equipment.
- Direct assigned personnel or crew to safely complete tasks.
- Work safely and cooperatively with co-workers and the public.
- Maintain a variety of records, logs and lists, including completion of daily work orders/notifications, truck sheets and mobile dispatch technology.
- Maintain an effective working knowledge of the City's sewer lines and locations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position requires lifting heavy objects, climbing and pushing up to 90 pounds.
- Outdoor environment; subject to adverse weather conditions.
- Required to respond to emergency call-outs during off duty hours.
- Employees in this position may be subject to driving from site to site, heavy traffic and extreme weather conditions; fumes, raw sewage, confined space and excavation hazards, prolonged periods of noise and potentially hazardous materials.
*City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: * One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
An equivalent combination to: graduation from high school or GED,
Two years as a sewer worker (experience in repairing, maintaining, and cleaning storm and sewer lines) or equivalent experience including training or experience operating specialized sewer equipment.
*LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS *
Valid Washington State Class A Commercial driver's license with N (tanker) endorsement at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter. Position is subject to random CDL drug testing.
- Work experience operating dump trucks, Vactor trucks and back cutters.
Willing to work Swing Shift work schedule. Knowledge & Skills
Operation, care and maintenance of sewer maintenance trucks/equipment and accessories.
- Requirements of operating equipment in a safe manner.
- Applicable traffic laws, ordinances and rules.
- Maintain routine records and prepare routine reports using proper record-keeping techniques.
- Health and safety regulations.
- City's sewer system locations using GIS mapping and City of Tacoma GovMe/ESRI websites.
- Safely operate a variety of sewer maintenance trucks and equipment.
- Operate, service, and make minor repairs on equipment.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Develop and maintain interpersonal relationship skills.
- Maintain records and reports including wireless devices and electronic record keeping.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Quickly learn City streets and sewer system locations.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing using tact, patience and courtesy. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ and http://www.traveltacoma.com/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
To be considered for this career opportunity: Please apply online through the City of Tacoma's website and attach a detailed resume and cover letter describing your experience, training, motivations, and expertise as it relates to the responsibilities of this position. Individuals must meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application, to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference points, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
Examination Process: This is a competitive selection process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to the Supplemental Questions # 9-11 *reviewed and scored by a committee of subject matter experts, as the *Experience and Training Test. It is the responsibility of the applicants to adequately describe all pertinent experience and training. Please make sure you read the questions and provide complete informative answers, including your roles in the position and key activities.
Candidates who pass the test will be placed on an Eligible List for potential interview and hiring consideration.
Candidates invited to interview will also participate in a practical skills assessment to demonstrate their ability to operate sewer equipment.
Any vacancy that comes up within a one year period of time will draw from candidates on the Eligible List for potential interview selection.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the *City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to passing a pre-employment background check and references check, a pre-employment medical exam, drug and alcohol screen and physical ability test. *
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Teamsters Local 313. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, please call Human Resources at (253) *591.5400 before 4:00 pm *of the closing date of the job announcement.
Salary: $31.37 - $34.59 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Environmental Services
Job Number: 5012-20
Division: ES Sewer Maintenance
Closing: 12/7/2020 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764