City of Tacoma WA Professional Transportation Engineer in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma Public Works Department is looking for a licensed Professional Engineer to lead design of the City's traffic signal, streetlight, and Intelligent Transportation systems. This is an advanced traffic engineering position responsible for varied duties that improve the City's transportation network, including working with Sound Transit and Pierce Transit on upcoming light rail and bus rapid transit projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in other areas of civil engineering and project management, including traffic operations and safety, right-of-way design, and permitting regulations. The selected candidate will be hard-working and approachable, and will be able to organize and express ideas through excellent oral and written communications to a wide variety of audiences.
A Civil Engineering Degree and a Professional Engineering License are required.
Desired Qualifications Five years of progressively responsible professional traffic engineering experience, preferably within a local government setting.
PTOE certification preferred.
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience with traffic signal, streetlight, and intelligent transportation system design.
- Experience with transportation planning and engineering, and knowledge of civil engineering standards and practices.
- Experience with project management, budgeting, and consultant contract administration.
- Experience with applicable Federal, State and Local regulations, including ADA, SEPA and NEPA; and current literature, trends, and developments in the transportation field.
- Ability to research, prepare, and present technical recommendations to other departments, officials, and external groups.
- Experience with direct customer service which includes other sections, divisions, and departments of the City.
- Ability to work in a sometimes hectic and high pressure atmosphere.
- Participate in and/or lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and assignments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend an hour or more entering the required information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
Salary: $92,622.40 - $118,747.20 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Department: Public Works
Job Number: 2082-18F
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764