City of Tacoma WA Police Officer Recruit (Entry Level) in Tacoma, Washington
The test date for this recruitment is scheduled for Friday, June 22, 2018.
This is general duty police work involving the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and ordinances, maintenance of order, and prevention and investigation of crimes. Work is performed according to departmental regulations and procedures prescribed by superior officers and normally consists of routine patrol, traffic regulations, and crime prevention and investigation on motorcycles, or on foot.
Work involves a substantial element of personal danger and employees must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise independent discretion in emergencies.
All assignments in this class involve responsibility for recognizing the social importance of police functions, for tactful and courteous treatment of the public, and for conscientious and efficient performance of duties under little direct supervision.
Employees may be assigned to work on special assignments which call upon specialized ability and knowledge usually attained through experience as a uniformed Police Officer.
Assignments and general and special instructions are received from superior officers who review work by personal inspection, check of reports, and general appraisal of the effectiveness of the employee and the entire police service.
- Successfully complete the Basic Law Enforcement Academy provided by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission;
- Learn and apply knowledge of basic first aid procedures;
- Resolve a variety of potentially volatile and dangerous situations in a calm, confident, and effective manner;
- Drive a patrol car under normal and adverse conditions;
- Train and use firearms safely in accordance with departmental rules;
- Clean and maintain assigned firearms and vehicles;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Learn, interpret and apply modern principles, practices, and procedures of police work;
- Write clear and comprehensive reports;
- Work with the public and coworkers in a professional and courteous manner;
- Show initiative in performing job functions, and ability to enforce federal, state and local laws.
City of Tacoma Recruitment The City of Tacoma wants to employ a workforce that reflects the community we serve. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
- You must be a United States citizen;
- You must possess a high school diploma or GED;
- You must be at least 20.5 years of age at the time of application - and be 21 years of age by date of appointment;
You must be able to meet the physical requirements and medical standards prescribed by the City of Tacoma and Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
You must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license at time of application. A valid Washington State driver's license is required for employment (with maintenance thereafter) and driving history will be thoroughly assessed during the hiring process.
First Aid and CPR card upon hire with maintenance thereafter. Knowledge & Skills
Fluent English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Principles, practices and procedures used in police work.
- State, County and City laws and ordinances.
- Recent legislation and court decisions affecting police duties.
- Traffic and crowd control techniques.
- Rules of evidence and laws of arrest.
- Operation of a variety of specialized police vehicles and equipment.
- Crime scene preservation and investigation methods and techniques.
- Basic First Aid procedures.
- Operation of a personal computer.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Maintain proficiency in driving and in the use of firearms in accordance with department guidelines.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Understand scope of authority.
- Relate effectively to people of a variety of cultures, languages, abilities and social-economic situations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Comply with safety standards and regulations. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Applicants who have applied and met the City's minimum qualifications, will be contacted by the Police Department's Hiring Officer and sent an Initial Personal History Questionnaire via e-mail. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow all instructions, to check his/her e-mail regularly and to meet set deadlines. Failure to follow the requested processes may result in disqualification.
Applicants who are eligible for veterans scoring criteria (Veterans Preference) MUST attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4 (proof of military discharge form) *at time of application to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference points. *
Applicants must pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT) and a written exam before being placed on an eligibility list. In addition, eligible applicants must pass all phases of the hiring process including oral board, pre-offer assessment test, and background investigation. Upon successful completion of these hiring steps, the applicant may receive a Conditional Offer of Employment, conditional upon available positions within the Police Department and the successful completion of the polygraph examination, physical and psychological examinations, and any other phases of the pre-employment process that might need to be accomplished. Applicants may be removed from the eligible list for failure to pass any of these hiring steps. Once an applicant becomes a commissioned officer, the position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 6 Tacoma Police Union IUPA. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of their commission.
Note: The PAT and written exam dates are tentatively scheduled for Friday, June 22, 2018.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: Please indicate in your online application that you prefer email notification as this is the preferred method of communication with the City of Tacoma. In order to receive the most efficient communications from the City of Tacoma Human Resources Department and the Tacoma Police Department, we ask that each applicant create a Gmail email address for correspondence. Please use any combination of your first and last name as the email address. Ex: Smithjane@gmail.com, Janesmith@gmail.com JSmith123@gmail.com. This will assist the Tacoma Police Department hiring unit with tracking information received during the hiring process.
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend an hour or more entering the required information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement. If you experience any complications while applying, please contact Human Resources as 253.591.5400 by 4:00 p.m., Friday, May 18, 2018, in order for us to assist you before the closing time.
If you are interested in additional information regarding test standards, testing deadlines and other information about the City of Tacoma and the Tacoma Police Department, visit our websites at www.cityoftacoma.org or www.cityoftacoma.org/government/city_departments/police
To learn more about the Tacoma Police Department's hiring process click here.
Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $31.10 - $37.23 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Tacoma Police Department
Job Number: 4201-18B
Closing: 5/18/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764