City of Tacoma WA Facilities Electrical Engineer in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Power's Generation section is currently seeking a highly motivated Electrical Engineer that enjoys working in a progressive and challenging environment with professionals who are team-oriented.
You will report directly to the Electrical Engineering Supervisor and perform a variety of advanced engineering duties that relate to electrical systems, including but not limited to: design, manage, plan, recommend, implement and commission projects for Tacoma Power's various electrical systems (administration buildings, energy control centers, microwave communication sites, data centers, fish facilities and power houses).
- Designing facility electrical services to include commercial and industrial lighting, power, data and controls, and Critical Operation Power Systems
- Implementing and ensuring the proper use of NEC, WAC, and other relevant codes
Selection, procurement, and installation oversight of inverters and DC systems, diesel generators, transfer switches, switchgear, Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) systems, motors and drives, panels and other power distribution 480V and below. * Project Management:*
Delivering projects that are primarily electrical in nature
- Managing multi-discipline projects for scope, schedule and budget.
- Managing contractors and vendors
- Developing and managing contracts
THE COMMUNITY Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant development such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university;
- Electrical Professional Engineering (PE) license from the State or ability to get by comity;
- 5+ years experience as an electrical engineer designing and managing facilities related projects;
2+ years as a licensed Professional Engineer preferred. Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to frequently interact respectfully and sensitively with individuals and groups, including operations and maintenance personnel
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships and achieve results
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, including the compilation of reports, presentations and records
- Knowledge and experience with NEC
- Knowledge of power coordination such as breakers, fuse, and relays
- Knowledge of panel, transformer, cable, breaker, fuse sizing/ selection
- Experience in engineering projects involving low and medium voltage electrical systems, such as MCCs, diesel generators, electrical distribution systems and addition of loads, DC systems, batteries, chargers, inverters, and UPS
- Experience with development of test plans and performing startup and commissioning tasks for general electrical work, including switchgear, MCC, stand by generators, pumps, etc
- Ability to multi task and manage multiple projects with multiple deadlines.
- Experience leading projects
- Knowledge of safety regulatory standards, specifically NFPA 70E and OSHA regulations
- Demonstrated experience in project scheduling software such as MS Project and the MS Office suite of software applications
- Ability to create, troubleshoot and modify industrial/commercial one-line, three-wire, control and wiring design diagrams
- Ability to specify, select and procure material to implement designs
- Ability to drive up to 4 hours per day, walk at least 2 miles over uneven ground, climb and descend stairs, climb and descend ladders, and climb and maneuver on temporary scaffolds to access equipment Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should complete the online application and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants who have the strongest backgrounds related to the responsibilities of this position may be invited to participate in an interview. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Departmentat 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
Salary: $93,870.40 - $120,348.80 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 2133-18A
Closing: 4/25/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764