City of Tacoma WA Data Scientist in Tacoma, Washington
Are you someone who thrives on discovering insights through data engineering and analysis? Do you have a passion for learning new systems and sharing that knowledge with others? Do change and continuous improvement energize you? Is providing excellent customer service just as important to you as ensuring accurate data? You may be the ideal candidate for Tacoma Power's Data Scientist role.
Tacoma Power's Strategy, Performance, and Analytics team is looking to add a member to our team who is amazing with data and great at building relationships across the organization. This position will help advance Tacoma Power's enterprise analytical capabilities. If you are a data visionary who gets excited about championing organizational analytics, this role is for you! This team is led by Haley Saul, Tacoma Power's Strategy, Performance, and Analytics Manager. We are part of a fun, high performing, people and service focused team that is integrating strategy and analytics into our everyday culture. Our team's vision is to inspire innovationby sharing resourcesand connecting people. This position is responsible for all aspects of planning, completing and translating complex analytical and statistical studies to support and inform the decision making of Tacoma Power. In this position, you will use those studies to develop and present stories that are easily understood by non-technical audiences. This position also supports cross-functional committees with the goal of establishing and adopting best practices for our data resources and analytics which will guide business decisions and strategy. You will drive analytical efforts across the utility as an advocate for self-service analytics, data governance and mentor less experienced analysts.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Support Development of a Data Analytics Program
Work with data and analytics leaders in our organization to develop and implement Tacoma Power's vision and strategy for an enterprise data and analytics program. You will work closely with Utility Data Engineers and other business partners to create a framework for extracting and leveraging data for our operational departments to make more informed decisions.
Perform Analysis for the Organization
Working in a shared services group, you will partner with executives, managers, and staff to identify and manage the lifecycle of defined analytic use cases. You will develop analyses and present findings aimed at helping Tacoma Power solve challenging problems and achieve opportunities that are aligned with the organization's strategic priorities.
Teach People Analytics
Explore and investigate new analytic tools. Pilot and test tools to develop a robust set of analytic capabilities across the organization. Share tools, best practices, and use cases with the analytic community and the broader organization. Mentor other analysts and interested staff across the organization.
- Bachelor degree in business, economics, mathematics, statistics, data modeling, information systems, computer science or related field;
- 5+ years' experience as a business intelligence analyst, data scientist, or similar job function;
- Demonstrable skills leading large cross-functional teams and delivering actionable insights from disparate data sources;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of business intelligence functions, including but not limited to analytics, data mining, reporting, report conversion, visualization, data cleansing, data modeling and relational databases;
- Outstanding analytical skills and an understanding of system databases, data elements, and application software solutions to maximize data gathering and data analysis, must have familiarity with SQL;
- Familiarity with Snowflake, Databricks, R, or Python a plus;
- Experience communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences through dynamic visualizations and storytelling, experience with Tableau or PowerBI a plus;
- Experience solving complex analytical problems using a blend of quantitative, mathematical, statistical and/or predictive modeling concepts;
- Masters level or advanced Degree preferred;
- Knowledge and experience working in a utility environment and understanding of utility operations desired;
- Detailed knowledge and experience working with SAP helpful.
Knowledge & Skills
- Develop models that integrate methods from mathematics, statistics, probability and uncertainty modeling in order to deliver predictive insights to decision-makers.
- Deliver business insights and solve complex analytical problems using a blend of data visualization and storytelling skills.
- Leverage large volumes of data and economic insights to explore and conduct research to answer business and industry questions.
- Explore and examine data to find hidden patterns and trends.
- Lead and model organizational change efforts by developing and maintaining strategic partnerships and relationships throughout the City of Tacoma.
- Become a data subject matter expert and champion for analytics within the organization using and modeling best practices in reporting and analysis in the areas of data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
- Present findings in the form of stories to executives, senior management and other internal and external clients on a varying array of electric utility topics that impact Tacoma Power.
- Represent the power utility at various meetings and hearings with the Utility Analytics Institute and others related to regional planning and operations. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Alissa McLain, if you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with me on LinkedIn.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
Tacoma Power Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.
The City of Tacoma Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant developments such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!
Apply Interested individuals should apply online and attacha detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $105,747.20 - $135,636.80 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 0582-19C
Division: Power - Shared Services
Closing: 11/25/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764