City of Tacoma WA Collections System Technician in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma is recruiting for the position of Collection Systems Technician. This is a technically skilled position primarily specializing in stormwater an sanitary sewer collection systems. This includes investigations, maintenance and database upkeep related to sanitary sewer and storm drainage collection systems. The position also includes analysis and problem solving related to the sanitary sewer collection system inflow and infiltration elimination program, pilot studies, and the surface/storm water management program.
This position is one of two levels within the Collection System Classification Series, and is distinguished from the others in that the incumbent serves as the lead over the Collection System Worker(s). Technicians also work with engineers, the public, and contractors planning and coordinating long-term and short-term programs that cover all aspects of the inflow and infiltration elimination and surface/storm water management programs.
If the personal traits bulleted below sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we want joining our team as a Collection Systems Worker.
- Excellent attendance
- Enjoy working both indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather conditions
- Great customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Enjoys physically demanding and variety of job tasks
Examples of Job Duties:
- Perform television inspections of public and private connections to the municipal sanitary and storm water mains
- Site preparation for the collection of soil and water quality samples
- Track labor, equipment, and material project costs
- Perform investigations to support the City's GIS mapping and database systems
- Operate a variety of hand tools and motorized equipment used in sewer and storm water work including CCTV, excavation, compaction and grading to install and maintain private and public sanitary and storm water infrastructures
- Inspect and document condition, function, location, as well as perform maintenance on sanitary sewer and storm drainage system infrastructure, both public and private, using Best Management Practices in accordance with City of Tacoma Storm water Management Manual
- Install drainage lines and / or sanitary side sewers at proper grade, slope and alignment; backfill trenches; replace sod and restore disturbed surface to private property owner's satisfaction
- Perform smoke and dye testing on public and private storm and sanitary sewer systems.
- Correct drainage problems on public and private property by constructing and repairing components of the storm drain system
- Construct and repair private drain lines and structures damaged by City actions. Document repairs through photographing, video recording, and creating detailed drawings
- Work cooperatively with other City Divisions and sections to plan, coordinate and schedule work activities
- Perform other related duties as assigned in support of the City's inflow and infiltration elimination and surface/storm water management programs
- Provide work direction to Collection Systems Workers in the field
- Ensure that safety regulations are being met
- Perform plumbing inspections as required, and if needed design plumbing modifications for the protection of homes from sanitary sewer backups, per the UPC
- Investigate and design systems for removal of inflow and infiltration from the sanitary sewer collection system
- Investigate and design basic improvements for the correction of surface water drainage problems on public and private property.
- Assist with the preparation of reports
- Perform work necessary to support future components of the inflow and infiltration elimination, illicit discharge detection and elimination and surface/storm water management programs
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- This position requires climbing, standing, bending, and lifting heavy objects using proper lifting and rigging techniques
- Lift up to 100 lbs. properly and safely without assistance
- Work includes indoor and outdoor environments; subject to heights, noise, adverse weather conditions, fumes, dust, confined spaces, and driving from site to site. May require working in a confined space
- Employee in this position is exposed to raw sewage, traffic and underground construction hazards. Employee in this position may be subject to call-outs during off-duty hours
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play. Qualifications
Graduation from high school or the equivalent AND twelve months (1 year) of experience in a construction field with increasingly responsible experience with sanitary and storm systems. Experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Washington Driver's License at time of application and maintenance thereafter.
- Obtain a First Aid Card with CPR Certificate by completion of nine-month probation and maintenance thereafter. Knowledge & Skills
- Computer software applications and database maintenance.
- Sanitary sewer and storm drain system-testing procedures.
- Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Record keeping and documentation techniques.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Rigging and lifting techniques.
Application of power tools. Skills:
Troubleshooting, problem solving and analytical skills necessary to evaluate and resolve difficult technical problems relating to sanitary sewer collection system and surface water collection system.
- Excellent skills in planning, coordinating, establishing work priorities and scheduling work.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy.
- Team work, decision-making and conflict resolution/management skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and supportive working relationships with others.
- Ability to use CCTV inspection equipment to inspect private connections to the municipal sanitary and storm water mains
- Ability to operate a variety of power tools and motorized equipment used in sewer and storm water work, including excavation, compaction and grading to install and maintain private and public sanitary and storm water infrastructures
- Ability to clearly document condition, function and location of collection systems using cameras and computers
- Able to perform smoke and dye testing on public and private storm and sanitary sewer systems
- Able to correct drainage problems on public and private property by constructing and repairing components of the storm drain system
- Able to construct and repair private drain lines and structures damaged by City actions. Document repairs through photographing, videotaping and creating detailed drawings
- Able to work cooperatively with other City Divisions and sections to plan, coordinate and schedule work activities
- Able to follow the established policies and procedures
- Able to work safety, and adhere to all health and safety regulations Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Our City: With a population over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Named one of the most livable areas in the country by Livability.com, Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, our schools are exceptional and our housing is affordable.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance with continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program.
We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny. http://www.cityoftacoma.org/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Application Submittal: Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application, to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have Supplemental Questions #8-11 reviewed and scored as the Experience and Training test that will be used to establish the Eligible List for this position. Candidates must pass the test with a score of 70% or higher in order to pass the test and be placed on the Eligible List for hiring consideration.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work*environment. *Appointment is subject to passing a background check and will include a pre-employment medical exam, physical ability test and drug and alcohol screen. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 17. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend an hour or more entering the required information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before 5:00 pm of the closing date
Salary: $23.50 - $28.57 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Environmental Services
Job Number: 5008-18
Closing: 3/26/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764